Saturday, May 8, 2010

sib 4 life

I love surprises. This week my parents and I conspired with my brother-in-law to surprise my sister in Holland. We walked into the coffee place where they were waiting in line and Mom went up and hugged her. Kate was so shocked and surprised and happy. It was a great surprise.

Bonus- This is also graduation weekend at Hope so I got to surprise so many of my SIB (sorority) friends. It's strange to think that I was wearing that cap and gown a year ago. It seems like it was just yesterday...and like it was 10 years ago...at the same time. I'm not sure how that's possible.

I do know that these friends are a part of my family and a part of me. We always jokingly say "SIB 4 LIFE" during rush and homecoming and other the-sibs-are-just-SO-great times. But I know now that I really will be close with these friends for life. Over and over again I got to reunite with friends tonight. I didn't tell anyone I was coming and I loved all the surprises. Mariss screaming, literally screaming, on the street. Casey's hug and sloth-cloth love. Koffie's laughter and surprise. Gabrie's sprint across the street and jumping hug.


Tomorrow these friends will walk across the field and say good-bye to Hope. It's scary to leave your friends and life behind not knowing what is going to come next. (And really they're scared that maybe nothing will come- no job, no new friends- ugh, depressing) But a year out, I believe that the best is yet to come and that you never really have to leave the people you care about behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment