Thursday, May 27, 2010

I love my school


When I got hired last August I didn't know a lot about my school. I knew that it was really big with 1000 kids, everyone kept telling me it was great, the principal was friendly, and the school building was huge. Today I know without a doubt I LOVE this school. This afternoon I got to take my kids outside to sidewalk chalk. One class chalked things they love about summer and the second group did things they love about our school.

I cannot wait for this one on Wednesday.




Kids aren't allowed to chew gum. If they have it at the end of the day they have to stick it on the gum tree...this is a cool routine...I think...

There are SO many kids injured at this school from sports. In the morning there is a line for the elevator.

20 kids in the air at once! It took a couple tries.

After school I went to the talent show. I was expecting a lot of great junior high awkwardness and was shocked by the talent of these kids. I saw hip-hop dancers, guitarists, and a drum battle. There was glow-sticking twirling (I'm not sure what to call it), a piano solo, a guitar duet, a pair of girls singing and doing motions to "Hey Soul Sister", and a tribute to Michael Jackson of course.

One girl that I always just see in the hallways sang "For Good" from Wicked and I was blown away- I had no idea she could sing like that.

There was a lyrical dance to "Your Hands", one of my favorite Christian songs, and was so impressed that this girl would dance like this to this song in front of her whole school AND she was awesome.

A girl who is struggling with her second round of cancer sang a song called "I Run" about cancer. She stopped after the first word and said, "Excuse me, I'm experiencing a bit of stage fright." This could easily have been an awful situation but the whole student audience cheered her name and clapped. She started singing again and the students stood up for her at the end.

This is a fantastic place to work. These are creative, talented, fantastic kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment