Monday, May 31, 2010

I crazy love it.


(Sarah took pictures of the girls this morning before graduation, I was the assistant. This is not the "best" but it makes me laugh. Life is like this picture, better when we're not posed perfectly.)

I was reading the blog of Shauna Neiquest, one of my favorite authors (Cold Tangerines is phenomenal and she has a new book, Bittersweet, coming out in August), tonight and had to share this. It so sums up how I've been feeling all weekend.

"Can you tell I just love summer? I crazy love it. I super love it. I love the heat and the high white puffy clouds against the impossibly blue sky. I love strawberries and tomatoes and flip-flops and tank tops. I love pink cheeks and babies in nothing but diapers. I love the moment just after the sun sets, when the whole world is quiet, just for a split-second. I love the smell of the grill and the energy and life and sparkle of summer.

Fall is earnest. Winter is slow, quiet, cozy. Spring is a gentle awakening. But summer is absolutely wide open: convertibles and late nights and fireworks, popsicles and diving off the back of a boat and wearing a wet swimsuit under your clothes half the day. It’s sandy feet and sleeping like a rock and eating blueberries for breakfast. I’m a summer girl for sure."

Favorite summer things I did today: woke up early and threw on a white v-neck/nike shorts/headband, took pictures outside with a billion friends, went for a run even though it was SO hot, ate a plate of strawberries and blueberries, sat in the grass and talked with my friend Emily, wrote a letter to mail to my friend at camp (summer mail is some of the very best mail), and had a "do whatever Jenna does" dance party.

I always love the start of summer. The next 10 weeks hold so much potential. Sure, I know that there will be campfires and lake times and nights off and parent letters to write because I've been doing this counselor thing for awhile now. But squeezed in-between all the things I expect are going to be conversations and adventures and opportunities that I can't even imagine right now. There are going to be new friends and campers that I've never met who will become the main characters of June and July. Those surprises will shape this summer. I can't wait. (Good thing I only have to wait till tomorrow afternoon for it to start).

2 comments: