Saturday, February 12, 2011

Social Excellence

My dear friend Michelle is at another retreat this weekend. Today she texted me to tell me about a session on social excellence she was a part of. I'd never heard of the term before and she told me,

"Social Excellence: (noun) A state of perpetual curiosity, positivity, and openness to limitless possibility. A desire to intentionally connect with others. The ability to engage in deep, meaningful conversation. Acting in a responsible and respectable manner with high expectations of others. Being authentic and living everyday with integrity as the best version of oneself. Being confident and vulnerable. Being fun and compassionate. Being open, kind, and bold."
I LOVE this! So many things that I value and try to pursue are all wrapped up in this idea. I want to surround myself with people that are trying to do each of those things and I'm confident that my best friends are pretty socially excellent.

Everyday at the end of class I say to my students, "Bye everybody. Have a good day. Be nice to people!" I think I might starting yelling, "Bye everybody. Be socially excellent!"

1 comment: