Saturday, August 13, 2011

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash

After weeks of wolf shirts, overalls, side ponytails, neon headbands, nike shorts, and cut off t-shirts all of the counselors get all cleaned up for the staff banquet. I remember when I was kid thinking that it was so funny to see all of the counselors make this dramatic transformation. Now after being a counselor for 8 summers I still think it's pretty funny.


I love that we take the time to celebrate all that we accomplished this summer. We recognize the leaders and thank them for their hard work and dedication. There is time for looking back, in photograph and video form, of all that we've done together.


Time is such a weird thing in the summer. We measure time by weeks, from staff training to week 9, and we can look back at the beginning and feel like it just happened yesterday. I still so clearly remember the rock kids from session 1, finding wands for the CILT cheer session 2, making the movie in Choctaw with session 3 girls, giving piggy-back rides to our Blazers and Braves. It's odd to think that two and a half months just passed by in a snap.


And even though I'm being really sentimental and sad that camp is over and all I really want is to stay for another 10 weeks of best friends, scratchy voices, baked oatmeal, and trips up the lake hill I know that camp will continue on.


These friends will continue to be my best friends no matter where I am. Those kids will continue to spread joy. God will continue to be present in our lives and ready to listen whenever we're ready to talk. We can keep doing good, keep living with integrity, keep being creative in all that we do, keep being there to support each other, and keep being a family.


No comments:

Post a Comment