Sunday, August 21, 2011

"It's like intentional conversation... except for movies."

Weekend highlights:

I have artistic students. After finishing her in-class essay Ben drew a caricature of me. Steven found me in the hallway and said, "Um... I made you an origami wolf."


After school Miss Debesse and I took three of our old students/bible study girls to go see The Help. The four of them had read it together over the summer and I got to come along. We loved getting to see the movie together, talk about life while we ate dinner, laugh about stories from the first week of school and get excited about what this year will bring.

I went to hang out with Molly. On our way to pick up some blueberry muffin mix she said, "Did you know the state fair had free admission today?" I didn't. I was actually just regretting that I hadn't gone this year so we turned the car around and jumped into the thick of the Indiana State Fair. We ran into one of my old Brave girls, people watched the masses and dined on a funnel cake and lemon shake up. Rule #4 (take opportunities) at its best.


Camp desperately needed people to work the weekend so Molly Brunner and I road-tripped up to our favorite place in the world. Saturday morning I got to work with these fine folks. Meg, Ricky, Bobby, Amy, Christine and Neil are so great.


We led team-building for girls from Purdue's Pi Phi. I got to have Kristyn Burke in my group which made the morning even more fun as I watched her interact with the girls. We did whale watch, spider web, and the 12ft wall. It made me miss the CILTs a lot...


Do you know what else made me miss the CILTs? The Longhouse and the Yurt just look so sad without 48 best friends running around and doing the bernie.

 

My favorite part of working the weekend at camp was getting to hang out with Brunner Runner Runner. With her flower in her hair and no pants preference, she was so thrilled to be back in the Riv. I love getting to talk with her in the car, crashing Indian Guide ceremonies/karate talent shows/Indian Maiden girls' nights together, having intentional movie watching time, and dancing to hip-hop songs on repeat.


Today I got to live out something I used to dream about in college. I loved Hope but I was so far away from my camp friends. I was home only 5 minutes when there was a knock on the door from Rach and Emily. We drove 1/2 a mile down the road to their house to hang out. McSoley came home and then in a little bit we sat down to watch Soul Surfer together. Eric, William, Molly, and Kraft came over and we had a whole living room full of camp friends but we were real life friends. 

I just can't get over how great it was and that it can happen all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment