Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Three best friends that anyone could have"

Part of the Choctaw cheer this week is, "13 best friends that anyone could have." Back when I got to work with Arielle, Kraft, Mel and Evan every day we would sing, "5 best friends that anyone could have." We're all about making friends at camp.


I've been thinking about how lucky I am, how lucky we all are, to be surrounded by our very best friends every single day at camp. I love that we don't have to have just one best friend but can include so many people in that category.


When I'm at home in Indy it would take a lot of work to meet up with Arielle to have lunch. But here at camp I've been having lunch... and breakfast... and most dinners with her every single day for two months. We don't have to plan it at all, it's just normal life.


I get to teach country-line dancing with my best friends Molly and Mary. I swing the jump-rope before lunch with my best friend Emily. I get a huge smile on my face when I see my best friend Colleen across the dining hall. I get to do hip-hop with 20 River girls and my best friend Kraft every morning. I pass "high of the day" notes with my best friend Annie during breakfast. I can have heart-to-hearts and crazy dance in chapel with my best friend Arielle.


There are few people that are still on staff from when I first became a counselor. I've always tried to make my campers my priority and they're what bring me back year after year. There is nothing like seeing kids you love on check-in days and having them run over to give you a huge hug. But through all these years of counseling, there is no doubt that a huge blessing has been the best friends I have met and grown close to between staff training and week 9.


These people have taught me so much about who I am and the person that I want to be. They have prayed for me, made me laugh till I cry, sang songs until we lost our voices, asked me the important questions in my life, lightened my load, and counseled alongside me with hundreds of kids. They're the very best friends that anyone could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment