Friday, March 1, 2013

Girls v Boys (part 2)

The school week finished at 2:45 but the day with Junior High kids was far from over. We headed back to 11381 Geist Bay Ct tonight for round 2 of Girls v Boys Club, this time Wyld Life style.



Wyld Life was the buzz all over school this week-- in the lunch room and hallways I heard kids talking about Club and inviting their friends. Tonight they arrived in droves--they're obsessed and I love it.


Hanging out with girls like Ellie, Erin, Alli Sams, Julia, Olivia and Kaelyn is the perfect way to spend my Friday night. This always feels like a gift way more than an obligation and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.


I love how close we get to 8th graders in a Junior High--girls like Hannah, Olivia, Kaylee and Brooke, Malena and Brooklin that I didn't know last year but now can't imagine not having them in my life. God is doing big things in their lives and hearts. I would have Club with them every week if we could.




I love the 7th graders in our school too. This year I get to know girls like Lucy, Jovie, Kaylee, Rylan, Rylee, Maddie and Chloe that have so much spunk and energy and are at the beginning of figuring out this whole growing up thing.


Tonight we had more girls than ever show up, which is great since we needed a Girl Army to face off against the boys.


The guys showed up dressed in their blue with more than enough energy to spare. These kids are the best. I've been teaching for four years and this class as a whole has the best guys I've ever worked with. I love that they're so excited about being part of Wyld Life.


Club kicked off with "Complicated" and we sang our hearts out with so much angst Avril Lavigne would be proud. This was definitely the biggest party of the night.






The egg drop game was all it was cracked up to be for a second night in a row. No yolks about it, the crowd was screaming with every splatter of the yolk on Chase and Kaitlyn's faces.



Brittany, Abi, Jovie and Nick, Nate and Clark did a great job in the role reversal game. The girls shaved their whole face and got their ties on quickly. The whole crowd of boys wanted to join in the makeup wearing and covered their faces with lipstick and eye shadow.





When I attempted to take the Team Boy and Girl Army group pictures tonight it was a bit difficult--there were just so many kids to try to organize and they all rushed to try to be in the front of the group. Chaos ensued, this is pretty awesome.



I'm all about having Club on Friday night. We get to invite these kids into living life to the full with us-- awesome, crazy, ridiculous fun. There are so many other things they could be doing tonight but this is such a great option for them.




The kids were awesome at settling down to sing "Lay My Burdens Down" and hear KCraig's talk. Ryan loves the verse, "My Word shall not return to me void," in Isaiah that's about how God's word is always at work when we share it. It's true over and over again.


When KCraig started to share her story the kids were right there with her, just like they were at Young Life last night. We want these kids to know they're beloved, they are fearfully and wonderfully made. Those are some of the very best and most powerful words to have written on our hearts. Just about a year ago KCraig found out about Young Life for the first time. Now it's a huge part of her life and she has become this incredible person of support and faith in so many kids' lives.


When we split up into our little groups all over the house we talked about both the hurtful and kind words people have spoken to us and about what we can learn from how Jesus reacted and responded to the woman caught in adultery. No matter how much time we spend in these groups the girls always want to share more, they're hungry for this.


The more I learn about the stories of these kids, the more excited I am to keep investing and time and energy into their lives. I get to experience just a small bit of how much God loves them and me. I know that tonight God must have been so stoked about what we were doing down here in Fishers, IN.


Through friendships and crazy pink outfits, sharing stories and being goofy, cheering each other on and playing games, we're inviting a little more of the divine into our lives and giving the world a reason to dance. This is the good life.


Tonight kids showed up that never have before. I saw kids that get labeled as being trouble makers, different, weird be accepted into this community.
Tonight HS kids took on the responsibility of leading small groups and sharing their faith.
Tonight we broke down barriers and I saw a group of girls open up in an honest way that they haven't before.
Tonight Jordan, one of my Delphi mentor girls, came for the first time and not only got to be part of club but sparked a friendship with Lauren.
Tonight I kept talking with Natty B, Haleigh and KCraig afterwards about life and friends and faith and how we're growing and changing.
Tonight I read Love Bombs that these kids wrote about their friends.
Tonight I saw God in action.


I know that I'm the leader and have the responsibility and blessing to be a role model for so many of these kids, but I absolutely mean it when I say that they're encouraging and inspiring and leading me.  God works in a reverse economy--the more that I give of my time and my life and my heart the more I get in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment