Sunday, May 12, 2013

In one month we'll be at camp

In just one month campers will have arrived at Camp Tecumseh for week one of summer 2013. I love the anticipation of this time of year and that it feels so close. In one month I will be finished teaching and (mostly) moved out of my apartment. In one month I'll be living back in Choctaw again with Smooney and Jamie Z just down the hall in the Longhouse. In one month I'll be ready for check-in with my blue staff polo, wooden name tag and bright backpack. In one month we'll be looking a lot like this,
 

In one month I will have met the girls and guys of Session 1 CILTs. They will have moved in all of their drawers, sleeping bags, fans and snacks to the Longhouse. In one month I'll start getting to know a new generation of kids-- so quickly they go from names on a check-in list to friends that I don't want to say good bye to.

 
In one month I'll be greeting old familiar faces of campers and introducing myself to new ones. We'll be giving lice checks, playing get-to-know-you games and carrying around clipboards.
 

In one month we'll be back doing swim checks in the pool, finding our table in the Party Room, shouting out camp rules at flagpole and taking the all camp picture in front of Mt. Wood. In one month we'll be carrying Camelbak water bottles and proudly wearing friendship bracelets.


In one month veteran counselors will be back doing the thing they love most and new counselors will realize that yes, they really can do this. In one month every bunk from Catawba to Arapaho will be filled up with kids that are so excited for a week at camp. In one month hundreds of campers and counselors will realize that one week really can change your life.


In one month we'll be dressing up for our first Opening Campfire-- becoming astronauts with cardboard helmets and crayons with construction paper hats. In one month we'll be singing M & Ms and put our arms around our neighbors' shoulders as we sing Welcome to the Family.


In one month we'll be writing down cabin goals, talking about the I'm 3rd motto and praying together in a circle. I'll read a story to the girls as they fall asleep with the beam of a flashlight. The CILT counselors will meet on the porch after the kids have gone to bed and discuss the first day. In one month I'll be back living the dream for another summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment