Sunday, May 12, 2013

Weekend Update

Friday was so much fun. We watched Kid President's latest video, A letter to Moms, and then wrote a letter to our mom. To finish up our creative writing week with a bang we watched Jessica's Daily Affirmations and then wrote our own positive tribute of things we really like. School is just so much fun.
 
I met up with Emily Westcott, an old YL girl, for snow cones after school. She was such a consistent part of my life last year and I miss seeing her all the time now that she's down at IU. It was a little chilly but it still felt like summer as we slurped up our snow cones and caught up on life.
 
 
 
Rachel and I went to see Great Gatsby on Friday night. I remember liking the book in High School and I love Daisy's Lullaby (the Great Gatsby rap) so I was excited to see this interpretation. It was definitely intense and crazy. The cinematography reminded me of Moulin Rouge and the eclectic music made it surprisingly modern. I know that the movie wasn't how the book ended but I needed to go back and see how the plot really concluded.
 
 
Saturday mornings with these 8th grade girls are the best. I love how this group has grown spiritually and socially in just a few short months. When we started right after the Washington DC field trip I think many of them had never had a conversation about faith. They had so many questions that they were asking one right after the other until it was time to go. Now we're talking about a chapter of the Story every week and they're having these realizations about faith and a relationship with God. There is still so much more to learn but I love that they're hooked into this journey.
 
This Saturday we wrote love tanks for the girls in this group and our friends that couldn't make it today. Just like on Monday with the older YL kids, I was so proud of them for building each other up and struck by the things they wrote to me in my notes. Being this encouraging is something God calls us to do-- to speak whatever is good, pleasing and uplifting.
 

Rachel and I took a spontaneous trip to Greencastle that afternoon to visit friends at Depauw. Rachie's sister Mary is a Sophomore and so many camp T girls are there studying up for finals. We thought we could help with their procrastination on this pretty Saturday. Moll and Coll are freshmen and I was so excited to finally get to see them in their element as college kids. I can't wait to spend the summer with both of them in just a couple weeks.


Arielle still lives in Greencastle so I got to play with her for a little bit. She took me on a quick tour to see the school she works at and her house. I'm so thankful for this friend that's like a sister to me and knows me so well. It'll be so strange to not be with her all summer long.


We got to hang out with Chrissy and Mary for a long time at Alpha Phi which was perfect. I love this pair and visiting them here over the past couple years. They are both such great friends and I'm thankful that our lives have overlapped for such a long time. I can't wait to play with Chrissy in River Village again this summer.


Sunday morning I went to Common Ground and heard from Larry, the head of the Common Ground training school, and four of the people that just finished the class. Any one can be part of this 9-month school that's shaped not by curriculum but by community. They  are focused on really being the church in big and small ways. I loved getting to just sit and here them talk about their experience and how they've grown and changed this year.

It was a funny afternoon of packing, bracelet making, to-do list checking off and TV watching with Emel. We were both more than ready to take a nap when I suggested ice-cream. Suddenly Emel had lots of energy and said we had to go get some. I was surprised when we got outside and she said we had to WALK there in the COLD. I was in a very angsty mood which we later decided was from my lack of Diet Coke all day long. We got our ice-cream, documented the adventure on Insta and made it home again to watch Runaway Bride.


My post would not be complete without a shout out to the two best moms in the world. I'm so thankful for my mom Beth who has loved our family so well. She is our biggest cheerleader who taught us how to love others well. Even now that we're grown up she continues to be there for us no matter what and loves to visit or go on adventures with us. I hope that some day I will be as great of a mom as she has been. My sister is such an incredible mom now too and I've loved watching how she has grown and changed since Lincoln was born almost two years ago. I can't wait for baby number two to be here in just a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment