Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lax 4 Life

I was first introduced to the wonderful world of Lax by my freshmen roommate at Hope Tracy Benjamin. Tracy started a Lax Club while she was a student and is now the girls coach of the Hope team. When Soaps was a CILT in 2010 she taught me to appreciate The Lax Bro ways as she repped penny jerseys and tall socks for two weeks. Now it's so much more common and both my YL and Camp T girls play the sport.
 

This afternoon I got to go watch Cathedral play HSE in the 86 degree heat. Matches like this, when I know players on both teams, are my favorite. I sat in the stands with Natty B's whole family which was fun. Lax girls not only get to wear skirts while they cradle down the field but are also outfitted with mouth guards and an eye mask. Although they look fierce, it makes recognizing people out on the field rather difficult.


Natty B, Sophie, Anna and Paige did an awesome job for HSE and I loved getting to see Katherine, Ella and Emily play for Cathedral. I had to leave before the Varsity game but I'm sure Emma and Anna did an awesome job.

We wrote about why we're excited for summer at the start of each class today. I had to tell my kids about why I'm excited for Tecumseh:

I’m so excited for summer because I get to return to Camp Tecumseh for another year. Soon I’ll be loading up my car with everything I’ll need for 10 weeks at my favorite place on Earth. I’m trading 212 t-shirts for blue staff polos, taco triangles for nachos extreme. Instead of grading papers I’ll be writing parent letters. My daily commute across Indianapolis will be shortened to a 30 second walk to flagpole. Soon I’ll be reunited with friends I’ve been a counselor with for years—Smooney, Jamie Z, Finney baby and Chrissy Crowe. I’ll check campers like Natty B, Emily and Maddie into Choctaw for the best two weeks of their life. Every summer this camp family comes back together to spend our days singing songs as we walk the long road to Lake Village and leading Dominican Chaos in Main Field. We talk with campers all day long and make sure we get to pop stop on time. Soon I’ll jump off the rope swing and then end the week at Closing Campfire. I can’t wait till I get to wear bright Nike shorts and YL party tanks, potholder headbands and neon hats. I’m going to strap on my overalls as many days as possible and wear a wolf shirt on Wednesdays. I’ll live in cabin with 12 girls and 24 more right down the hall. I’ll eat all my meals in the party room and stand in the back row of the Green Cathedral every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment