Sunday, March 29, 2015

"Look at me! I'm wearing popular people boots!"

What's better than Troy, Gabriella and Sharpay from High School Musical? Seeing your students play Troy, Gabriella and Sharpay.

Every Spring I look forward to HSJH's musical and Friday afternoon I got to watch their performance right after school. KCraig, Jesse, Jackie, Julia and I had seats right up front to see all the action. I loved watching Elyse and Hailey lead their skater and nerdy cliques. 



Tyler, Allison and Camdyn all did fantastic in the lead roles. We were blown away by Danny Tully who killed his part as they guy crushing on Sharpay.


Everyone loves the HSM movies so there's something really special about watching those songs come to life on stage right in front of you.


When the show was over I quickly found Elyse, Lulu, Tyler and Hailey so I could tell them they did a fantastic job. Every kid on stage did a great job singing their hearts out after practicing and rehearsing for so long.


I got to spend so much time with some HS girls that I really love this weekend. Hannah, Katie, Julia, Ciara, Sam and Ashley all spent time crafting, laughing, telling stories, making lists and just being friends.

Sarah Mooney found a new Chipotle 2-Minute Write this weekend that we love, "Community is our native state. You play hardest for a hometown crowd. You become your best self. You know joy. This not a guess, there is evidence. The scholars who study social well-being can put it on charts and graphs...The happiest people are the ones with the most community."  It's brilliant and seems so obvious doesn't it? We love Camp Tecumseh because of community. We love Young Life because of community. We need to connect, we need to be there for people, we need those authentic friendships. Engaging in community, building and cultivating relationships is such important and holy work.


Saturday night Ciara and I visited the HSE HS Dance Marathon. It's been going on for a few years now but this was my first time visiting. I loved DM during my 4 years at Hope and was always really involved. Tonight Ci and I got to run through the bounce house obstacle course, hula hoop with these girls, learn their line dance and see so many random great people. I talked with a couple teachers and decided that next year we've got to get the Junior High kids involved too.


Sunday morning I had the honor of going to see Audrey get confirmed at her church New Hope Presbyterian. I was lucky enough to hear Statements of Faith from Audrey, Katie and Olivia--all HSJH girls.


I'm so glad that Katy P made sure I would be here this morning because she knows how much Fudgie (that's Audrey) means to me.


Grace and Abby were both confirmation sponsors for the Junior High kids so they got to be part of the service this morning too. I'm such a fan of all of these kids and I was so happy to see them take this step of faith.



Sunday afternoon Hannah and I went on an adventure to the IMA (Indianapolis Museum of Art) downtown. I'd only been to the 100 Acre Woods (the land around the IMA) before to see the funky bones, from Fault In Our Stars, but had never been inside. I love that Hannah will be goofy and silly and weird with me. We did some "live art" right as we walked in.


I think this colorful wall is the most photographed part of the IMA because it's SO COOL. Don't you just love it? It reminds me of a kaleidoscope or a patchwork quilt or a pile of friendship bracelets.


Hope Spoken, a women's conference in Texas that I attended last year, has been going on all week and I've been following via Insta. Today Ashley Ann Campbell, one of the bloggers there said, "I'm thankful that life's greatest adventures don't have to be BIG, but they take place everyday when we open our eyes to see God working the extraordinary in the midst of the ordinary." Don't you love that? This weekend was chock full of so many extraordinary moments like that.


For amateur art connoisseurs like Hannah and me, there were still plenty of things that we really loved.

Beaded Indian boots that we would love to own...


Cool metal wall? A whole balcony of giant numbers. Hannah's lucky number is 7 and I love 3 because of the I'm 3rd motto at Tecumseh.




In an interactive kids room they had a ginormous version of a Lite Brite board. Do you remember those things? We left behind a YL sign for future museum goers.


Ethiopia love for KCraig, Lebu, Jesse G and a little bit of foreshadowing...


In a whole wall of dresses through history these are the two I would choose to wear.


Isn't it sweet how basically anything can be art? A wall full of hanging string-- art! Thousands of little army men holding up the floor-- art! Metallic foil paper rolled up until you can make giant balls out of it-- art!


Since we were already downtown Hannah insisted we go to Sub Zero on Mass Ave for ice-cream. People-- it was SO cool. You choose your cream and flavors and then they use liquid nitrogen to turn it into ice cream right in front of you. You can still choose mix-ins like at Cold Stone too. I think this new ice cream is a winner.


Today I tried Strawberry, Blueberry, Cake Batter with waffle cone pieces. Then on the way home Hannah and I spotted TECUMSEH STREET! You know we immediately pulled over and jumped out to take a picture.


I hope that your weekend was great and that you're ready for the new week ahead. I hope it's full of community and extraordinary moments in the ordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment