Thursday, April 30, 2015

"At least you use your powers for good!"

Today I discovered three amazing things that I'm pretty stoked about:

Sarah, a woman involved with Hope Spoken, has developed the coolest relational project. She built this giant table in her backyard that can fit up to 20 people at a time. Her goal was to serve 500 people at this table in a year. Now three years later, she's had nearly 1600 people share life around this table. How cool is that?


Go watch this video I'll Think Of You for not only a beautiful song, but one of the most epic and flawless hand clap routines I've ever seen. I want to learn this.

Have you ever heard of Mercy Ships? I hadn't until today. Doctors, along with their families, work and live on these ships that port in different cities to give free medical care to people that wouldn't be able to get it otherwise. These ships have volunteer medical teams and sterile locations that save people's lives. How cool is that?


I have a quote beside my desk from Mother Teresa to remind me of the kind of teacher I want to be, "Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier. Everyone should see goodness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile. Joy shows from the eyes. It appears when we speak and walk. It cannot be kept closed inside us. Joy is infectious." It's a lofty and honorable goal to live like that. Lucky for me, I have a whole slew of people who are an example of that kind of presence. These FBC girls spread their infectious joy. I love time with Avery, Payton, Kim, Grace, Reese, Jayla, Hannah, Mandy, Sarah and Olivia. I wish you all could come hang out with us for an afternoon at FBC.


I worked another track meet as a timer tonight. I love getting to cheer on girls like Fudge and Lulu and they run miles with such fierce positivity. I love hanging out with teacher friends like Boss as we time every event. I love seeing older siblings like Anna and Grace that come to cheer on their sisters. I love being outside in the sun and wearing shorts even when it's a little bit cold.


Our fearless committee woman have been working to put on an event called Market At The Barn. For weeks they've been collecting people's donations of home goods and setting up this whole barn of awesome stuff. Tonight was the "Friends of YL" pre sale and the ladies and Ryan were all their snacking, talking and shopping.


I didn't plan on getting anything, but when I spotted these Indian carvings I couldn't pass them up. The big one has a plaque that says "DAD The Chief." It's fate-- my dad used to be the chief of Tecumseh every Friday night at Closing Campfire. 


Last summer Annabelle came to hang out with the CILTs and live in the Longhouse. She's all sorts of beautiful and creepy and amazing at the very same time. She adventured all across Tecumseh for 9 whole weeks. I didn't know how we'd ever compete with that kind of fun for summer 2015...


But I think these guys could become a big part of the CILT Pack this summer. Can't you just picture the standing one being a traveling award? Hiding The Chief in different people's bunks each night? Putting them in the Party Room on the mantle to watch over all of us? Taking them to closing campfire with us each week? Yep-- I think this could work.


No comments:

Post a Comment