Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Tecumseh Pep Talk

Last week I taught Freedom Writer's clinic with my friend Kat. We had two girls sign up-- Erin and Maddie. Smaller than normal, this four person clinic ended up getting to do so many cool things from publishing our poetry in bathroom stalls to writing letters to our favorite people and then reading them those letters over the phone. We spent Thursday and Friday reworking a Kid President video and turning it into a Camp Tecumseh Pep Talk. Today Kayla posted our finished project. I would love for you to watch it.


I think we all need a pep talk.

This camp needs you to stop being boring! Yeah, you! Boring is easy. Everybody can be boring.

Life is not a game people! Life isn't a cereal either. Well it is a cereal, and you might get run over in the mob as you race to get cereal after grace. But if life is a game, aren't we all in the same camp? 

I mean, really right? I'm in your cabin and you're in my cabin. This is Tecumseh people! We've got friendship bracelets around our wrists. You've got blob time, rest hour and pop stop. (can opens) That means you've got to do something. 

A creed: "I will be worthy of trust, I will respect the world around me, the plants the wild things, the people and their ideas," and they're crazy man! Really nuts! 

They zipline over the lake, do flips off the high dive, and roll in mud. They're wild. 

But what if there really are different kinds of people? I want to be one that's a little crazy. 

It's like that dude Enoch said, "DON'T YOU TRY TO TURKEY-ERIZE ME!"

You should always be the best version of yourself. Don't worry about what other people think about you. Just be who God made you to be and then keep going, keep loving, keep shining.

What if Dave Wright had quit? Well he did quit. No, he retired. Yeah, he retired.

But what if he'd never become a hobo or an Indian Chief? We would have never had the Wright Way-- and I love the Wright Way.

I love walking to Closing Campfire on the Wright Way in a parade of unit t-shirts on Friday nights. 

What will your Wright way be? What will be the legacy you leave behind? 

Nothing if you keep sitting there. That's why I'm talking to you today. 

This your village! This is my village! It's our camp!

We can make every day better for each other. If  we're all in the same camp family-- let's act like it.

We've got high-5s to give, tables to hop and love tanks to write.

We were made to be awesome. Let's get out there!

I don't know everything, I'm just a camper. But I know this. It's everybody's shared responsibility to give Tecumseh a reason to dance. 

So let's get to it. Be a person who will make this camp awesome. Be third!

No comments:

Post a Comment