Thursday, August 25, 2016

"Thank you for coming! I could hear you yelling while I was running and it made me smile."

SPORTS!

They're one of my least favorite things in the world.
They're one of my favorite things in the world.

I'll explain. 

I couldn't care less about who wins major sporting events like the Super Bowl or March Madness. I have no connection to those players. I don't care if people make the pass, the kick or the basket... I've never been one to watch a whole sporting event. My priority at those kinds of events is the concession stand-- that's where the party happens. I'm also the first to tell you that if you're looking for athletic talent, I'm probably not your top pick to join your team. I'll bring loads of enthusiasm but don't ask me to catch/throw/kick anything. It also kills me how much time the sporters have to invest in their sport which monopolizes their schedule and leaves little room for other passions. 

Keeping all of that in mind...

I love sports. I love showing up to watch people I love play the sports they care about. I would pick a Junior High volleyball game over the World Series any day of the week. I'd rather get the autographs of my YL soccer girls on a game ball than a signed basketball from the Pacers. I can tell you the running order of my 8th grade girls on the cross country team but couldn't name a single Colts player. Sports are so much better when you actually know the players. I love my people so I love cheering them on. I'm in their corner as often as I can possible screaming their names. I'm clapping for each point on the court, lap around the field or race on the track. I'm one of their biggest fans. 


I love that the connection and community at sports isn't just with the sporters. I get to hang out with the siblings, the friends, the moms and dads. So often the majority of the conversations I get to have during a sports game are happening with people in the stands around me. There's some kind of special bond between spectators at a Junior High event because you know you're witnessing something truly magical.


Sports-- it's a love, hate relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment