Tuesday, August 16, 2016

"You use a lot of periods. That's scary. Like when you say, 'cool.' I get scared and have to remind myself that it's not you, it's me."

"My favorite times of the year are when our lives overlap," was written in a letter from my Pathfinder camper, Grace McGill. I'd been her counselor for several summers and sometimes we'd see each other when I visited Chicago. She was, and still is, one of the coolest kids I know. When I started writing a blog I thought that the story I wanted to share was the story of the people my life overlaps with. So many different campers, friends, students and other people that are making an impact on the world around them. Now that I'm back in Indy, and finished with Tecumseh, my life is overlapping with a whole new crew of main characters.

Megan Cook is a riot. She walked up to me yesterday afternoon in her black sweatshirt, black ripped jeans, black sneakers, black lanyard and hair in a bun-- classic Megan. We sat at Starbucks, her sipping a peppermint latte in August, and caught up on this summer. She kills me-- I always know that with Meg I will laugh a lot, be shocked at least once, be challenged to think deeply and to end up wishing we had more time together. I love this friend. 


Tonight I finally got to hang out with Rachel Phillips. We were both away all summer. While I stayed in the States, she was exploring Slovakia, Poland and Israel. Rachel is courageous, adventurous and bold in all the best ways. She's also incredibly humble and has no idea how cool she really is. I loved hearing stories about the bucket of mice/cockroaches/worms on the crazy scavenger hunt, crying in Israel over and over again in the path of Jesus and her self-created interviews to get to know people and ask about their purpose in life. Also I have to mention that Rachel's book "Ready As I'll Ever Be" has been published and can now be purchased on Amazon. Tonight we ran errands and visited friends and told summer stories and it was so, so good for my heart. The world wouldn't be nearly as good without Rachel.


No comments:

Post a Comment