Saturday, September 15, 2012

A weekend hanging out with the dream team

Reasons why school was so great on Friday: Fanny Pack Friday, potholder headband and jeans, donuts and devo's with the Wyld Life kids, limbo in the hallway during every passing period, making it really fun to change "be" verbs to action verbs, yelling "SCHOOL IS SO FUN" down the hallway several times

I picked up Katy and Mikaela after school for a Friday adventure. They voted for an after school snack but when we couldn't decide which one we wrote down all of our options and then randomly drew one, Gigi's Cupcakes. We opted to share Carrot Cake, Cinnamon Roll and Strawberry Shortcake. Then we devoured them big cookie style with the three of us just digging in at once.


We explored a bit downtown before I dropped the girls off at home. It was fun to just laugh and sing One Direction in the car and make a plan to explore a new playground next time and hang out together.


Did you know it's Molly's Selfie September? She came home from Depauw for the night so we went to Mellow for dinner and got our usual--two Diet Cokes, one cheese pizza, one pepperoni pizza, thank you very much. Love molls and catching each other up on the last month and singing TSwift together and her hugs and hearing her laugh at everything again. I've really missed this girl.


There is no question that I prefer to watch cross country over any other sport. Lucky for me, HSE, Cathedral and Brebeuf all ran at the same invitational this morning.

I got to Northview a few minutes after 9, just in time to see Rachel Nichwitz run by in the girls Varsity race. Of the 52 schools that came to the event she got third place. Pretty incredible. I found Emma Flynn and Anna Gibbons first by the Cathedral tent.


I soon found the rest of the Camp T runner girls-- Ellie, Kelsey, Helen, Zoe and Libby. They're one heck of a crew.


I ran around with Abby, one of my HSE girls, and her little brother Luke. The beginning of the race is my favorite part. Everyone lines up in their packs and even my heart speeds up. The gun goes off and releases hundreds of runners as they race up the first hill.


We ran all over the course yelling for the girls we knew. Some of them were serious runners, some ran with friends to pace themselves, while others were more entertaining as they gave high-5s to spectators and flew down the final stretch with their arms wide like wings.



After the race I found the HSE girls. I've know Rachel, Grace and Courtney for years but it was fun to meet new girls like Jessica and talk to them all about important things like their race times and homecoming dresses.


I got to hang out with Abby so much today between running around the course and then sitting with her for the HSE picnic lunch. Although she might hate running, I'd pick Abby to run around and cheer with me any day.


Natalie and I went on a bike adventure this afternoon through neighborhoods and uphills and through a little bit of country and back again. This girl is always fun to hang out with and one of the most positive people I know.


We had a bit of an issue when the bike chain came off mid-hill, but after a few greasy minutes of wrestling with the bike bike we got it all fixed up and started riding again.


Katherine Maxwell and I drove downtown to the Irish Fest to watch Maddy in her Irish Dance performance on the main stage (yes, this is a very big deal) of Irish Fest tonight. I've heard Maddy talk about dance but have never actually seen her perform. Getting to watch her up there performing and just beaming was really neat--the wig and cool dresses were the icing on top of the cake.


All of these kids are incredibly talented and I was so impressed with all of their dances. I was also very impressed by these electric outfits.


While we were watching the show two Camp T sisters, Colleen and Annie, sat down beside us one the grass for a couple minutes. I have known them for a couple summers and I was so glad they spotted me in the crowd.

When we weren't watching Maddy our attention was on the gang of children perfecting their Irish Dance moves on the grass just in front of the stage. These little dancing machines jigged and jumped and bobbed and shook through every song.


I'm thankful our spontaneous plan to go watch worked out. I loved having extra time to hang out with Katherine and was glad we got to see Maddy in all her River Dance glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment