Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"You can see here that where the grass ends, gravity does not begin. Art."

Tonight I went back to my roots. It's September which basically means I needed to visit Carmel Young Life. I'm stoked about working with HSE kids this year and all that entails, but part of me still misses my old team and those kids. Conveniently this night was Carmel's first club of the year--the paint war. 


As soon as I got out of my car Mackie greeted me with a huge hug. She is a Senior this year and one of the girls I took to camp a couple summers ago. We don't see each other very often but tonight it was so great to stand their in the parking lot of the American Legion, the new YL Club spot, and just talk. I love Mackie's energy.

The team has already shifted and changed since the start of the summer. A few other leaders have left and there are new people that have joined in to what they're doing at Carmel. It's such a cool thing that as the people that make up the team change the culture and community remains the same.

Jon and Carrie were hilarious in the Art skit. Tom did such a great job with the Club Talk. I loved that kids were leading the music.


Then in the dark of night we all ran to the field for the paint war. Five-gallon buckets of paint slime were stationed with 1,000 cups in the grass. Kids filled up their cups and then flung the paint on their friends before going back for a re-fill.


Soon everyone was a rainbow of the goo and they still continued to hurl the pink and yellow and purple and blue at one another.



If this isn't living life to the full and finding whimsy I don't know what is.


Nothing like a little paint war on a Tuesday night to amp up your week.


No comments:

Post a Comment