Sunday, September 16, 2012

Crimson Tate

Bethie, my mom, dropped off my Aunts at the airport this morning after a week of Quilt Camp. Instead of turning around to go all the way up to MI she came to play with me for two days. We went to church at Common Ground, found some containers at the Container Store for the new house, ate a fun lunch at Paradise and then drove downtown for the destination we were most excited for--the quilt store Crimson Tate.

Mom is the queen of quilts that runs Quilt Camp at Tecumseh seven times a year. I'm a pretty big fan myself since I started at age five, still have quilting weekends with mom, and have quilts all over my apartment. We were so excited to go to this shop on Mass Ave for the first time.


Heather, the owner of the store, used to work at Camp T many years ago where she was better known as Heli and then later returned to be a quilt camper several times. After being an art teacher she opened up Crimson Tate and her talent has flourished. At most quilt stores I visit with my mom I like the fabric on one shelf where I can find some from the Amy Butler line. But in Crimson Tate I loved everything in the whole place.


Inside the blue exterior was a collection of bright, quirky, fun, creative and eye-catching treasures from these Africa inspired prints to owls nesting on tables and bookshelves.


I fell in love with this quilt as soon as I saw it and pulled it out from where it was folded up on a bottom shelf. Pretty sure I need this one. We'd love for Heather to come teach this "Sexy Hexy" pattern at an upcoming quilt camp.


Mom and I loved all the little creative touches--the leaf mobiles that hung from the ceiling and the rainbow of buttons inside old Ball jars.


We're obsessed with this old card catalog turned fat quarter organizer. Don't you wish you had one?


I've been to my fair share of quilt stores but never one so unique and fun. The store is known for "modern quilting" and they sure live up to the claim.


My next big project is to turn all of the shirts I saved from HS, Hope and camp into a t-shirt quilt. Today I got to pick out the fabrics that we'll use in-between all the shirts. I'm so excited about all the ones we found and can't wait till we're putting it together. It's going to be beautiful. Now we've just got to figure out a pattern.


We had a ball at Crimson Tate and it surpassed our expectations. The only thing that would have made it better was if we could have seen Heather. You should check it out if you're ever in downtown Indy or look up crimsontate.com


Just down the road I found this canvas bag at Silver in the City that I'm obsessed with. It'll be my new school bag for awhile. The "there is no one like you" reminds me of chapel songs this summer and "be magnificent" makes me think of the Butterfly Circus... so Tecumseh will be even more on my mind.


We took an afternoon trip to Orange Leaf with Emel and Emily which made the day that much sweeter. I love hanging out with them and having mom around is always such a party.

2 comments:

  1. Heather is my niece and rest assured, not only is so talented in so many ways...but she is precious to the core.... she does beautiful work and has great ideas... come visit with her and she will leave you wanting to hang out with her all the time... she sure makes me want to....her loving Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to visit Crimson Tate! Your review and accolades don't help my (im)patience at all :)...a Madison Hoosier, and another Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete