Saturday, September 8, 2012

"It feels to me that with a pencil anything is possible."

Want to know the best way to motivate students? 
Give them a stick when they get an A on their paper. This type of reward is working incredibly well for one of my kids right now. This is the same child that got a rock a couple weeks ago. He's debating between a leaf or a bag of grass for his next prize. 


After school I picked up Abby, Katy and Lucci from school and we got to hang out in Katy's neighborhood till Maddie finished volleyball practice. We played softball with her little sister Gracie--she's a pro and gets a home run every time. 

The dogs took us on a walk all over the neighborhood. I grew up at camp where my neighbors were all the people who worked at camp-- it's such a different world to be walking around the subdivision having them point out where everyone from school lives. I saw an FBC girl mowing her lawn, we waved at a couple YL girls in their window, and stopped and talked to an 8th grade girl who was cleaning her bird cage.


Once Maddie arrived we headed off on our adventure. Originally we had planned to go to the HSE football game downtown at Lucas Oil Stadium but opted instead for going Homecoming dress shopping. We ate dinner at Stir Crazy and attempted to master chopsticks.


We went to three stores and the girls tried on dozens of dresses giving me a fashion show with each costume change. I liked getting to pick out dresses for them to try too but it was fun to see what they all chose and how often they all tried on the exact same dress. Maddie ended up getting a dress but the rest will keep looking. A massive storm hit while we were in the mall so we had to sprint through the monsoon when we left. These girls are all so funny, quirky, sweet and occasionally a little bit sassy--they bring me so much joy.


Saturday morning MaryEllen and I drove up to Jenna and Kyle's house in Fishers for breakfast with all the female Carmel YL leaders. I'm technically not still leading at Carmel but I'm so thankful I was still included. Chef Kyle made us waffles and his special raspberry sauce--so delicious.


This group of women is one of the groups where I felt most loved and at home. We sat in a circle and shared our hearts about where we are with Young Life, in relationship with our kids and what we hope God will do this year. I'm so inspired hearing each of them share and so thankful that I get to be in community with these people.

When I get to be part of conversations like this I'm reminded of so many truths-

Our God is faithful both in our lives and in the lives of the girls we are called to love.
Choosing to partner with Christ in reaching out to these kids is an incredible thing to be part of--it might not be glamorous or easily understood but it changes your life for the better.
Praying for one another and for our girls is one of the most important things we can do.
God's timing is better than mine. He knows what he's doing. I have to trust that.


I love car dance parties with Mary Ellen. I love how much she loves songs that having clapping. I love that I got my very own Love Does poster in the mail today from Ben Battaglia. I love words that inspire.


Today there is a Session 3 CILT reunion going on in Chicago. If I could be in two places at once I would totes be with those kids today. But getting pictures from Megan, Elaine, Madi and Emily all day is a pretty great alternative. I love when they are intentional about seeing each other and staying close.


My mom came into Indy for a few fours before she had to pick up my Aunts at the airport. Bethie and I got to run all over taking car of errands and finding some fun surprises. I love getting to hang out with her and am so glad she'll be back next weekend.

Tonight Emma Flynn and I had a movie date to see The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Emma cracks me up and it was so fun to hear about the surprise of her new car that matches mine and the Cathedral paint and boom box party at their xc meet this morning. We love lots of butter on our popcorn, watching movies and hanging out together.


Timothy Green is about a little boy that grows out of a garden when Jim (Joel Edgerton) and Cindy (Jennifer Garner) are unable to have kids of their own. I realize that seems like it would just be so weird but this movie was so great--funny, empowering, cute and thought-provoking. Emma and I loved the whole story and even cried tears of happiness at one point. Totally support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment