Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Got a smile on my face, pencils in my case, we're all here to get good grades."

Did you know that Friendship Bracelet Club kicked off today? After sign-ups and anticipation and daily announcements the afternoon finally arrived. When the final bell rang girls packed the hallway in front of my classroom, waiting for Malena and Rachel to highlight their names on the attendance sheet. They filled up every foot of space in room 124, a classroom that usually holds around 30 students. 

I love the excitement of this first meeting. The girls are excited to start something new, we all take the FBC pledge together, play crossover and then after a quick explanation I throw out potholder headband loops and let them get crafting. Today when they made little circles around mounds of the loops I had to carefully step around them because there was almost no floor space left.


I know the sign-up sheets were really full but I never would have predicted that when we did a head count of the group we would have 101 girls. Insanity. It's a bit much to handle by myself, although I did have Natalie and Saba come from the HS to help. We'll have a group this huge for just a couple more weeks before it will start to drop and become somewhat more manageable.

I'm thrilled about the returning 8th grade girls and I'm excited to get to know these new 7th graders because some are current students but many of them I've only seen in the hallway. This year of FBC is going to be sweet-- we've already got ideas for a sweatshirt, friendship-bracelet-thon and a late night event.


Tonight was also the first of our new monthly camp counselor dinners. So many of us have migrated to Indy after college and we thought it would be good to get into a routine of hanging out together. Tonight Mindy, Eric, Rach, Emily, Paige, McSoley and our friend Courtney (yep, the little one that doesn't look quite old enough to be a counselor yet) got to hang out.


Other highs of the day: letter for Molls, ice-cream with Lizzy, and a phone call with Katie E.

1 comment: