Sunday, September 23, 2012

the narrow gate

I love when I hear an old story with a new perspective. When what I've always heard gets a little twist and makes me think.
 
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14
 
Just seeing these doors on stage got me thinking when I came into church this morning. Then Jeff's words were incredibly sharp and meaningful.
 

"The good news of Jesus is more than just what happens to us when we die. Let our prayer be to become more aware of your presence and to experience more of your goodness."

"Christianity is a lifestyle--a way of living in the world that is simple, non-violent, shared, inclusive and loving. We made it however into a normal established religion in order to avoid the demanding lifestyle itself." I want my faith to be my lifestyle--to affect what I say and do seven days a week. I want to choose the narrow gate.

What if life really did work like the image above. What if those suitcases represent our baggage that we carry around with us. They'll fit fine through the wider door but it gets complicated when you pass through the narrow one. You can't take your stuff with you if you want to go through there.

So we have to ask ourselves, "Am I willing to give up what I have here to get what's through there? Am I willing to leave all my stuff (worry, greed, anger, lust, shame, envy, materialism, sin) behind?"

"Every day is a new opportunity to lay down our lives to look forward to what Christ has for us. He is calling us to experience this good news and new life."

Every day. We have to choose follow Christ again every day. Some days it's easier than others. But it's your choice. Can we trust Jesus enough to follow his way?

No comments:

Post a Comment