Monday, September 17, 2012

Complete Joy

While some people may dread Mondays, this crew of kids can't wait for the start of a brand-new week. Because although Monday means going back to school and homework it also means going back to Young Life. In just week two of our meetings, it's already one of their favorite weekly traditions.


This week there were more Instagram screen shots, more "I think I'm going to come! And I'm going to bring friends!" texts and when 7:32 arrived there were more cars pulling up to drop off some very excited returners and semi-nervous new kids. We gathered in the house and outside on the lawn greeting people as they showed up.


I love that we have kids from not only HSE but Cathedral and Fishers too. It's so cool to see kids from different groups of friends coming together here. We're creating this culture where kids can totally be themselves and talk about things that really matter to them. This is a place where it's cool to wear nerd glasses, talking about Christ is a contagious thing, new people are immediately welcomed and being together is our high of the day.

I'm so encouraged by kids like Haleigh that make it a priority to be here, by kcraiginthehouse's enthusiasm, and love the spunk and zeal that shines out of Mad Swag.


Even though we've only just begun I can't imagine this year without Young Life, without hanging out with these kids on Monday nights, without knowing the girls I've just met. No way would I want to miss out on this.


Tonight we read the parable of the vine and the branches when Jesus teaches, "I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing... This is to my Father's glory that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

We talked about what it looks like to "bear fruit" in our lives and the difference between pruning and cutting off branches in order to have a healthier life. It's not easy to grow and sometimes it's pretty painful. But if the fruits we're hoping to find are things like joy and peace and hope then we've got to trust that God knows what he's doing to get us to that point and we have to be willing to follow him.


At the end of the section we read, "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last-- and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: love one another." It's a crazy idea to wrap your mind around that though there are millions of people in the world Christ CHOSE you. He intimately knows you and has a purpose for your life. He wants your life to bear fruit that will last, fruit that matters. And the command he left us with was to love one another which is often easier said than done.

When we chose to love one another, to honor God with how we treat the people around us, we're abiding in him. He promises that when we do that we will see the fruits of our labor.


When I look at this living room packed with kids it's such a beautiful picture of "bearing good fruit." I think of parents that have been praying, the people on our committee that have gotten involved and decided to invest in the kids of this area, my friends all over the place that have been praying, the kids that have grown in their faith since we went to camp this summer and have been inviting their friends, our group of leaders that have stepped up with their time and energy and commitment to love these kids because they love Christ. One of my girls told me tonight, "Young Life is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and I can't help but to share and spread the word of God. I'm just so happy I get to be a part of it all."

This week the challenge is to remain in Christ's love so that our joy may be complete. Sounds like a great plan to me. Can't wait to see Emma, Brooke, Gabby, Kate, Libby and everyone else again next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment