Monday, October 15, 2012

"Young Life is like the band-aid on my Monday, it just makes everything better."

I love getting to drive just a mile down the road to pick up Young Life girls after school. Emma, Hannah, Payton and I tried out the new Fall flavors at Orange Leaf and talked about friends and bringing them along with us to YL. It has been so interesting to engage in these conversations this semester--seeing kids so passionate about inviting friends to join them in this new adventure. They want more and more people to be part of YL for the right reasons. Their enthusiasm motivates me.
 
The girls helped me finish spray painting the YL covers for the cds of Campaigner's music we'd pass out later tonight. Before we left we got to try out Hannah's trampoline too.
 

Usually we meet at Abby and Ryan's for Campaigners on Monday nights but tonight was a little different. We had two buses waiting for us at the High School and the kids piled on as they arrived. Tonight we were going clubbin' to Club.


Did you know today is #ylshirtday? Triplets with Haleigh and Brooke. Really love these girls.


Tonight we joined the Westfield area Young Life for their weekly Club. As we ran off the buses their kids and leaders greeted us before everyone headed to the Club room inside. For most of our kids this was their first crazy YL experience and they didn't really know what to expect. It's high-energy, fast-paced, off-the-wall kind of fun.


We started off screaming, "Livin' On A Prayer" and jumping around like we were at a concert. Then everyone broke up into 12 districts and chased glow-stick-carrying-tributes around the field until we could catch one to bring back inside. Every team wrapped up someone with inside out tape to prepare them to compete in the q-tip wars. Natalie, from HSE, ended up victorious over all the rest.

"Such a great night at club!!! So excited for the rest of the year!!! #club #YL" -Freshmen guy


We sang "Lean On Me" in long lines shouting out FIVE! SHORT! ELBOW! in YL tradition. In the Katniss competition we got to cheer on Hannah so reigned triumphant against all the rest and won her own bow and arrow set. I loved seeing two leaders in the "Games two people can't play" skit and wish I could see their next installment.


"It was amazing, so much fun. Now I understand why you guys talk about it all the time!" -Freshmen girl

I'm so thankful that we could come to this Club tonight, rather than trying to pull Club off on our own already. This way the other leaders and I could be in the crowd with our kids--singing, laughing, cheering them on and soaking it all up-- rather than worrying about the logistics of it all. 


The shock and newness and excitement of HSE YL still has yet to wear off and I don't think it will anytime soon. God is doing big things and I can see him at work in the kids that show up, the look on their face during club, the way they include and treat each other here, in our conversations and even reading what they write on instagram afterwards.


"Can already feel the power of God making a positive change in my life. You don't go to young life you definitely should start! No matter what year in high school, freshmen or senior, all are welcome." -Sophomore guy


I'm so thankful for nights like this when we get to live life to the full kids. When we get the chance to engage in fun with them, to show them that their is a better way to live life. Things like this build relationships and open doors for conversations.


Sarah Mooney has been visiting me for a couple days and I couldn't be more excited to have her come with us to YL tonight. She was a YL kid in HS and then led in college. Tonight was such a camp reunion with Hannah, Ellie and Maddy too.



"I had so much fun tonight! Club was amazing! That was so much more than I expected! It's hard to explain the things we do. There is just so much energy and you just know everything is safe. I love young life! If you're interested text me. It's the funnest thing ever. Young Life over everything." -Sophomore guy


I'm thankful for awesome, dynamic, hilarious, faithful leaders. I'm thankful for HS kids that want to live life to the full. I'm thankful for the culture we're creating together. I'm thankful for answered prayers. I'm thankful for singing on buses and laughing with friends. I'm thankful that the best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment