Sunday, August 18, 2013

"Excuse me. I think you were my teacher once."

My parents, Nick and Katie all go to church at Central Wesleyan in Holland so we met there this morning. The music was awesome and singing "One Thing Remains" reminded me almost too much of singing in the Green Cathedral. There were a couple things that stuck out to me in the sermon that I really loved and had to share with a few YL leaders and many of my girls.
 
"I want you to use the hurt and pain you went through to bless other people. God calls us to do something courageous. His grace speaks through us. Boldly go where you can do amazing things in other people's lives."
 
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you. And when you pass through the rivers they will not wash over you. When you walk through the fire you will not be burned. The flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2 
 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
 
"There will be times in your life when choosing to be fully alive will look very different than what others around you think is necessary to live an enjoyable life. Instead we will live with a passion and purpose-- and that can not be matched by any other life."
 

I got to hold baby Redford one last time on our way out of church before saying goodbye to Katie, Nick, Lincoln and Red. I love their family and it was so good to spend so much time with them this weekend. I'm already looking forward to when I'll be back at the end of next month for Lincoln's 2nd birthday.


I went back to my parents house in Holland to have lunch with them, my Aunt Meg and Hugo. It was good to just hang out and have time to relax for a little while. I'm so thankful for the family that I have-- parents that love me and want to help me and encourage me in everything that I do.

When I left to start driving home I didn't get very far before stopping in Saugatuck. Lizzy's parents lake house is nearby so we met up for ice-cream. She was one of my favorite people at Tecumseh this summer and I've missed her so much this past week. I was so happy to get to hang out and walk around town with her for an hour. This girl is the best and I'm lucky to call her a friend.

 
Driving seemed to take fooooreverrrrr all afternoon. I listened to camp worship playlists and left voicemails for friends and talked to Katlyn a lot because she's so good at talking on the phone. Finally I made it back to Indy just in time to meet friends at the Aristocrat for dinner.
 
Sarah Battaglia was passing back through Indy on her way home to Chicago but stopped to see Mary Ellen, Michelle, Kalli, Jack and Linda. Right as we were sitting down at our table I heard the waiter say, "Excuse me, I think you were my teacher once." I turned around to find this HS boy who looked awfully familiar. I had to ask him his name but then remembered Dominique from my very first year of teaching. He goes to HS in Lawrence now but still remembered me and English Comp. He was even wearing a bracelet that he said he made that year in FBC.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment