Monday, August 5, 2013

"Rest hour is like warm up for devotions because you should be reflecting on the first half of your day. It's like a pre-devotion."

This week the best part of breakfast is our Sunrise Spectacles. We're really into embracing weird things this week and I think this will be a favorite. 

Also I'm stoked with our new clean up plan for the end of meals that we borrowed from Alex Allison. Each girl has been assigned a job-- cups, silverware, two on scraping, two on trash, red tray, wiping, napkins/salt/pepper-- and then they are in charge of their job at every meal every day. It works beautifully. As soon as we say go they all know exactly what they need to do.


I was originally in Cup Stacking first and Ellyn was in Nature Discovery. But Ellyn just happens to be allergic to nature so I switched spots with her. I get to teach with Nate and Zach, two of my CILT guys from 2010, and hang out with a crew of all these hilarious boys and two fun girls. Today we explored the Nature Center and even got to hold Squirt, the baby turtle.


2nd period I get to teach friendship bracelets in the CAC which is always a good time. 3rd period Ellyn and I are teaching drama together. I always took the clinic as a kid but don't think I've actually ever taught it before. We played improv games today and started brainstorming things we could base our end of the week skit off of.

One of the things I love about switching to resident camp is getting to see other counselors SO much more. Even just getting to see them for a couple minutes between clinics feels like a world of difference from the first part of the summer.


I love week 9 kids and hanging out before lunch. I'm so excited that I get to play with Erin and Alice, a camper I met last summer that I love so much and became pen pals with too.


Today we got to hang out on the Trading Post steps while we waited for the bell to ring. Girls told me stories and we looked at friendship bracelets and it was just so fun to not really do anything except be together.


We did the Choctaw cheer at lunch for the first time and then got to take our cabin picture before rest hour. This crew of young Blazer girls is hilarious and quirky and creative and loud and funny and incredibly entertaining.



We swam at the pool with Warriors this afternoon and though the water was mildly freezing we still had a great time. I got to turtle with Erin, learn how to fly like Peter Pan from Sophie and go off the spring boards with more of our friends. Choctaw was ready for pop stop long before any other cabin and we ran down the road to the Trading Post like a bunch of hooligans with Ellyn leading the way. She's really good at things like that.


Highs of the rest of the day:

Playing games in the Party Room with Choctaw and Hopi
Driving on a night off with Smooncat, Liz and Alicia
Eating dinner with Burke, Kendall, Annie, Mary, Chrissy, Evan and Alex
Getting Cold Stone with lots of LV counselors and laughing in the parking lot
Walking around Wal-Mart with Smooney while talking on the phone to Kat and Grace
Hearing that tons of YL kids back in Fishers went to Campaigners tonight

1 comment:

  1. GAH! Take me back to the Longhouse!!!! Miss you guys TONS!

    ReplyDelete