Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"You're just trying to complete a goal that doesn't mean anything."

Lesem has been waiting all summer to plan a chapel and today was the day. We put on one of the best Kalepo skits that you ever did see. We decided monkeys look better in overalls, Kalepo likes hanging out in hammocks and Alex can handle being multiple jungle animals.



Chapel songs are the theme songs of Camp Tecumseh more than any flagpole or campfire song. Singing them this week takes me back to so many other weeks and kids. It's impossible to not tear up when we're singing We Won't Be Shaken or the Desert Song.


We did big things in Nature Discovery clinic today. We got to hold the box shell turtles and pet the soft shell turtle. Did you know the box turtles have huge nails that claw at you when you hold them and they're awful. But don't worry, Audrey and I are tough and we can handle them. 


These boys had a couple turtle races which is pretty hilarious since they're not speedy and they have no sense of direction.


Then we got to hold Rosie the snake. Just another day in the life of Nature Discovery.


p.s. You might have noticed my exceptionally awesome outfit today-- Ellyn and I decided to have Choctaw have their own Wacky Wednesday. The girls borrowed some clothes from us but really just loved wearing their clothes inside out and wearing shorts like hats.


This week we're all about loving these kids. We definitely do that all 9 weeks of the summer but I'm just noticing and appreciating it more now. 


I love being with Paige and Jillian this week--they're so precious and so much fun.


These kids are some of our favorite people in the world and we'd rather be here with them than anywhere else.


This afternoon we got to play Gold Rush with all of River Village. I was collecting gold outside the pool so I got to sing and play with half the counselors as kids kept showing up and dropping off rocks. Molls made quite the Dorothy and I just always love playing with my pal Smooney.


I'm so thankful for all of these friends and lucky to have worked alongside them all summer long. They have impacted more lives than they realize and showed hundreds of kids what it means to live life in a community of joy and faith.


Annie is one of the main characters of my life and it's been so cool to watch her be a rockstar counselor all summer. She's so intentional with her girls and cares so much about their experience. 

I'm so glad that Lins got to come back this week and work. She is someone that gets camp and what it's all about and just shines it out.


I love having friends like Burke, Lins and Mary come back. We have such a shared history in this place and they make it feel even more like home when they're here because they're a huge part of my camp family.


I've loved Alli Kenney since she was a CILT three summers ago and she's been such a big part of my heart since then. She's so good at being a counselor and I can't imagine her not being here. 

Smoon and her girl Soph are living the dream together in Hopi this week. Sophie is only 10 but she gets what camp is all about and already rocks Rule #4 Take Opportunities and being 3rd. I have no doubt that she's going to grow up to be a counselor one day.


In the second half of Gold Rush Choctaw raced across Main Field in search of a hidden character. We spotted and captured Moose aka Gru from the CAC jail. 

After pop stop, Choctaw's fav part of the day, we headed to the pool. There was an incredible moment when a Blazer froze at the top of the high dive. He was scared but wanted to jump off. Eventually Matt was up there with him holding his hand, John was cheering him on from the higher dive and the rest of River Village was clapping and cheering him on. Brad Hough gave him a double thumbs for at least 10 minutes. Kids were chanting his name. Multiple counselors were crying. You don't see love and support and motivation like that anywhere else.


Tonight was my last night off of the summer. So weird. Smooney, Mary and I drove to West Lafayette to eat dinner with a large crew of counselors. Then we went to Coldstone to meet Kat and Sophie for ice-cream. We ended up sitting with them on the sidewalk for two hours just talking and loving being together. These people have been such a huge part of my life this summer and I can't believe I've only got a couple more days at camp.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had known you were in West Lafayette! I would have met you at Coldstone for sure :) Miss you much!
    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete