Thursday, August 8, 2013

"I think camp is special because at the end of the week everyone gets emotional and cries and loves each other."

We watched the Heart chapel this morning-- we watched Soaps interact with different people and saw how they affected her heart. She gave an awesome wrap-up about struggling with friends in HS and finding community in HS.


We sang more incredible songs and we couldn't help but tear up again. Chrissy has had Lauren for two weeks and they're just best friends at this point. Watching them hug each other during the last song was so precious. Once everyone left chapel the Nature Discovery kids gathered to go on our adventure.


We went down to Ghost Creek to catch crawdads and minnows and crickets in the water. We flipped over rocks and then used our nets to catch anything that we found underneath.


The goal was 8 crawdads but we definitely surpassed that.


I felt a tap on my shoulder during friendship bracelets and turned around to Allison smiling with something behind her back. "Want to take my picture?" she asked and then held up this sign.


One of my old favorite traditions was collecting rocks from CILT island on the CILT float trip. When we were down at Ghost Creek today I collected some rocks and Audrey helped me carry them all back. Then second clinic I got busy writing rock notes to a bunch of my friends. Later, kids helped me deliver them to all these counselors.


I got to play with Sophie in the CAC and found Erin on the Trading Post steps before lunch. These girls are awesome and I would let them stay the whole summer if they wanted to.


When we went to get our pop stop after rest hour we had a few great surprises. They were out of the lemon iced tea but we got giant bottles of iced tea and lemonade instead. Then Brenna told us there were King size Snickers ice cream bars that they couldn't sell but we could take one.


The girls of Illinois and Choctaw got painted up for our Adventure Hike. We found buddies and then started off into the woods.


One of the fun things about switching to resident camp is getting to lead activities with other counselors. I love getting to do creative counseling with Ellyn, Annie and Alli. These are three of the best counselors I know and I love spending time with them.


Life is just really fun and really great when I'm with them.


We made the girls throw sticks into the River and yell something they loved about camp, get covered in mud if they wanted to, eat a Dot candy with their eyes closed, spit in the creek and do some chanting with Ellyn.


During lake time I did blob check-in and Alli did Saturn check-in beside me. Once we had all the names written down we worked on our list of things we are going to miss most about camp. I've just got to do things like this during our last few days.


Just in case you're interested...


I was so excited to get to be on for the cook out tonight because it meant we got hot dogs for dinner and I got to be at camp for one of the last nights. I love hanging out with kids like Paige, Sophia, Erin and Soph this week-- they were all exceptionally hilarious and hyper tonight.


My cabin is pretty awesome and crazy and silly and wild. I'm so glad they're my week 9 crew.


We ate our picnic dinner in a circle and they tried to come up with dates for both Ellyn and I. Ellyn's list was full of Brazilians and Nick and David. They struggled with my list because I said I couldn't date anyone that had been my former camper. Tina told them I should date Irving and it took them about half an hour to figure out that he's the giant Indian.


Tonight I got to hang out with my girl Alice. We met on this bench before lunch last year and instantly became friends. She seems so much older this summer but I still just love her and hanging out with her so much.


We had extra time to hang out in Main Field because Trading Post got cancelled.


The best part was when I just got to sit in the grass and talk with Abby and Erin. Abby was my neighbor last summer and is in drama with me. Erin was in my cabin for two weeks last summer. I love having time to ask questions and tell stories and talk about old memories.


All of the Blazers went back to chapel for a songfest. This was the perfect thing to do in our final week of camp. We sang a lot of classic old songs and some new ones like Washed By The Water that have caught on. My girls were so hyper and funny as we sang and I loved making up motions and clapping with them. When we sang Prince of Peace two of my girls grabbed my arm and said, "This is the song from devotions the other night!"


We went to Blazer night swim next which was more fun because of the music in the background. Even though it was kind of cold, every one still had a great time. Smooney and I brought shampoo and conditioner so our girls could all shower in the pool house in their swimsuits.


We did the thankfulness devotion together back in the Longhouse and made lists of things we love. I always love going around the circle and hearing things on the girls lists. This used to be a regular devotion of mine but it's the first time I've done it all summer.

being best friends with Smooney
knowing I'll be friends with some of the CILT girls all year
how well it worked out being partners with Ellyn
the feeling I get in chapel
knowing I'm meant to do this job
sitting and talking with Abby and Erin in the grass
"Not for a moment"
doing lake check in with Alli Kenney
friendship bracelets from my kids
videos from Kat, Grace and Emily
when Sophie classifies spiders
matching outfits with camp friends
living in the Longhouse with so many people I love
chapel wrap ups
becoming a family every week

No comments:

Post a Comment