Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"Miss Wright, you remind me of my grandma. That wasn't supposed to be an insult. She's fun!"

Tuesday morning I went back to HSJH for more meetings and more classroom prep. It's strange that this will soon be my new normal again. At 9:15 I'll be in the middle of second period instead of singing songs in the Green Cathedral. All day long I'll be walking around my classroom and helping kids with their papers instead of doing challenges with the CILTs or playing with Blazers.
 
The best part of teacher days is getting to go out to lunch with KCraig and Lori. We ate at Paradise today and as much as I love chicken cobb with avocado salads, I was even more thankful to be with these friends. These women are my people here and I know that they've got my back and are always so encouraging.
 
That afternoon I got to move into my new apartment! Thankfully I have a huge community of people in Indy that are willing to help because I definitely wouldn't be able to do this on my own. Mary went and sat in my apt while the internet guy came because I was still at school. Then Emily and Mac came to help make multiple trips of my stuff from the Devoe garage to the new place. Sarah was with my all afternoon loading and carrying and driving all around town. Pidgeon got to come help load up my bed in the truck and carry things upstairs. Molly and Alli made a trip of stuff from Broad Ripple to Fishers and our paths didn't even cross.People are awesome.
 

We got an incredible amount moved into my apartment that day and finally stopped to go to dinner. Sarah and I drove across town to meet a crew of camp people at Mellow Mushroom, our very favorite pizza spot. I knew Indy folks would be there but freaked out when Chrissy Crowe was at the table. She was missing camp so much she drove down all the way from Chicago. I was so happy to be reunited with Ellyn-- we got our daily picture taken care of.


Being back with this many camp friends totally made my night. I've missed Lesem, Kellie, Chrissy, Matt, Molls, Ellyn and Alli so much in just the last two days. We're not used to being apart this much. Soon they'll all be heading back to college. Lesem and Kellie are getting into the swing of things in their own classrooms and jobs.  But still no matter where we go, I know that the camp family will always be important to everyone.


Wednesday I woke up ready for the first day of school with students. The first day never fails to be fun. Even if I'm not mentally prepared for it, you can't help but have fun with 160 new students filling your room throughout the day. I got to say hi to the 8th graders, wear a cute new teacher outfit, walk around for lunch supervision, meet my new kids, talk about Kid President and make a plan for #awesometuesdays this semester. It's going to be a great year.



After school I had more moving to do. I unpacked a load of books and pictures I had stored in my classroom over the summer. Then I went to KCraig's house where more of my things had been in her basement all summer. She and Jesse G helped me load it all up, drive back to my apt and unload things there. Maddy and Eliza even stopped by to help carry things upstairs too. I've got great people helping me out.

Tonight I met Brooke, Kaitlyn and Molly for dinner. They're some of my Young Life girls and all freshmen at Cathedral this year. They've already been back to school for over a week now. I loved getting to talk to them about their classes, Freshmen hell week, soccer and cross country, new and old friends and how summer ended. I just love these girls so much and have missed hanging out with them.


After we finished eating they helped me pick out a present for little Redford and then I took them all home. It's SO convenient to live in the same town as them now. I can't even convey how happy I am to live this close to school and YL girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment