Sunday, August 4, 2013

"Hey, so guess what. I've been practicing how high I can jump without bending my knees. I'm really good at it."

I'm back at Tecumseh. Week 9. Last week of the summer. Holy cow I don't know if I'm ready for this. I got back at 3:30 am on Sunday and fell asleep in my old familiar Choctaw bed in a matter of seconds. This morning I unpacked, did laundry and got psyched for one last adventure. I couldn't wait to see my counselor friends and stay over campers that have already been here for a week.


I'm back in Choctaw with Ellyn, Grace Gibbons is partners with Smooney in Hopi and we're both without Day Camp counselors. The four of us are ready to make this week one for the books.


Our first four girls to arrive brought plenty of energy and snacks. Maddie, Erin, McKenna and Zoe were hilarious right off the bat and we knew we were in for an awesome cabin. Don't you wish you could hang out with these kids?


I was beyond thrilled to see Liz Koch again after being away for a week. And I flipped out when I finally got to see Erin Williams. She and I ran to each other and then I just carried her on my hip for awhile. This girl was in my cabin for the final two weeks last summer and burrowed deep into my heart. This little bug and I got to be pen pals all year and I couldn't wait to see her again.


After dinner and the all camp picture we had to come up with a costume for Opening Campfire. Ellyn and I took our girls on a field trip to the cardboard dumpster to gather supplies. Our girls were so excited to dig in the trash and each tried to carry way more than they could hold. Who knew trash was so fun?


Ellyn actually went dumpster diving...


Back on the Longhouse porch we brought out scissors and duct tape so the girls could get creative and crafty with their costumes.


Catawba went for the classic counselor/camper switcheroo theme. Ellyn and I were pretty proud of our cardboard chic outfits. Don't forget to notice the Diet Coke crowns and woven shirts.


All of our girls were hilarious with their arm cuffs, helmets, cardboard shoes, dresses and shields.


You can say were really excited about this crew. We never had an official theme but we walked around flagpole once everyone gathered chanting, "Recycle! Recycle! Recycle now! Recycle! Recycle! Recycle wow! Tell your momma and your poppa and your grandpa too, recycling is the thing to do!"


Erin dressed up as a counselor/me for campfire with Eel River. I'm so excited about hanging out with Sophia all week in Choctaw and getting to know her better.


There are SO many fun returners here for week 9. We've got Linsey Deluga, Chrissy, Lesem, Mary Brody, Kristyn Burke, Evan Frick and Kendall Brunner.


Tom and Mike came as whale trainers to Opening Campfire tonight and led us all in the whale clap from staff training. I loved the rainbow that some of the Blazer boy cabins created. My cabin is full of first year campers so it was fun watching them experience all of this for the very first time.


Tonight I also got to go to my very first planning meeting of the summer and then have porch time with Smoon and Grace. It's good to be back here where I feel so comfortable and in my element. I can't believe we've got just one week left.

No comments:

Post a Comment