Monday, August 26, 2013

"We were all late because of her steaming artichoke"

Fishers kids are some of the most busy people I've ever met. They have so many sports and practices and clubs and meetings and work schedules not to mention homework and advanced classes that they're part of. I'm proud of them for being motivated and involved, but sometimes all of that makes it difficult to actually see them. I'm so thankful when Campaigners on Monday nights is built into so many of their schedules. No matter what else is going on, they make it a priority to be here. They clear two hours out of their schedule to show up and be in this community together.
 
Tonight Haleigh and I even got to go to dinner before hand. It was the best part of my day, just sitting across the table from her while we ate chips and salsa and caught up about life. When Haleigh and I have one on ones at camp we can talk for hours and never run out of things to say. Tonight was such a gift to just sit with her for awhile.
 

We met in the woods again tonight for Campaigners, this little escape from the busyness and street lights and concrete buildings of Fishers. Out here it's just us and the trees. I love that we only have to drive a couple miles to experience something so different.

Ryan led us in "One Thing Remains" which is one of my current favorite songs, "Mighty to Save," a new song he wrote and "Amazing Grace." Singing in a group like this is the best. Out here I can't help but think of singing in the Green Cathedral back at Tecumseh.

Tonight we split into girls and guys groups and then talked about this blessing:

May the Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord protect you and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26

We talked about what all of those words really mean, times when we've felt those blessings and God's graciousness and peace. This is a prayer that we want to be intentional about praying for one another.


Monday night phone calls on the way home from Young Life are one of my favorites. Tonight I got to talk to Maggie for a long time-- she's seriously one of the greatest people I know. I got to talk with Smooney when I got back home about how much we just miss each other and being real life best friends. I texted with a couple CILT girls that I haven't talked to since CILTs but really miss. It was good to hear a little about the start of the school year. Sometimes technology can get in the way of life, but most of the time I'm really thankful for how easy it makes it to stay in touch with people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment