Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Did you know the dotted lines in the middle of the road actually mean something?"

While on Spring Break, the Dewolf family always goes to eat crab one night. It's tradition for them and pretty big deal-- she was telling me about it while they were still in Siesta. I couldn't tell you the last time I ate crab so I told Julia she would have to take me once we were both back in Indy. 

Tonight was the night that Julia, Brooke and I went to Joe's Crab Shack to experience a lobster feast. Most people probably don't even realize that Indy has a Joe's Crab Shack, but it's there just off of 82nd St down the road from the Container Store.


We shared a steam pot, put on bibs, used the cracker-thing-a-ma-jig, and got our hands quite buttery. Julia was the expert--she even knew how to make the pincher's move. Brooke was terrified of all seafood at first, but by the end of the meal we had her eating crab and shrimp.


The girls wanted to dessert so I suggested Huddles. Neither of them had ever been there so that cemented the fact that we needed to go. I used to be a weekly visitor with Molly Henry back in the day, but haven't been there in months. I secretly texted Odle to meet us there and she surprised the girls ten minutes later. Julia had just been talking about how she really wanted to meet her.


Odle and Brookie are low key best friends in the halls at the Cathedral. They're the kind of friends that wave over crowds of people and occasionally talk.


Oh la la Olivia, aka Turtle, aka Odle is a rock star and I'm thankful that I've gotten to see her so much this year. She and I are totally different in a lot of ways but we're still big fans of one another.


We had to made one more quick pit stop before heading back to Fishers when we saw this statue in a field. These girls are both into spontaneity and climbing and whimsy and fun.

  

Being a Young Life leader allows me to see beauty all over the place that I might miss otherwise. I see Christ's love in the friendship between these two girls. I see his creativity and optimism in Brooke. I see his compassion and loyalty in Julia. They're teaching me too as we walk through life together. 


Today Julia told me about one of her teachers who was complaining about being an adult and said that it was way worse than being in High School. She asked him, "Well have you ever met someone who really likes being an adult?" because she knows how much I love it. He gave her a look and said, "Do you really think adults go around talking about how much they like being an adult?" Little does he know that I actually do have that conversation with people.

We get to create the world we're living in right? No matter what age you are, you get to choose what drives you, who you surround yourself with, what fills your time and your attitude. You're in control of your own life. I want to always be living my life to the full and believe that the best is yet to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment