Thursday, October 20, 2016

"After awhile I forgot about my acid-washed, pleated jean jacket. It didn't change my life. Then I moved on to Guess jeans."

Tonight was HSE YL's Annual Fall Barn Party. It's one of our big events, always evolving so we get better each year. If you just looked at pictures you'd notice a whole lot of flannel, some carnival games, scary characters for the haunted trail and a packed room. But there is so much more going on under the surface.

Though the Barn Party is one event there are a whole lot of things going on. People make stuff happen when they get a new idea (like a table of delicious cupcakes). Maddie helped me with a new project. I've been collecting people's old YL t-shirts and tonight we sold them all-- over 60 of them by the end of the night. 


This room was filled tonight not only with old friends but brand-new kids and families that were invited. We got to make them feel welcome their first time at the barn.


These gal pals are some of the sweetest, most fun loving and creative people you'll ever meet. I see them in the hall every day at school but I love getting to spend time with them at Wyld Life.


Sometimes you see people that are pals and never know the story behind their friendship. This gang is a interconnected web of unlikely friends, of invested leaders, of consistency in showing up.


Ben and Jacob, these Senior guys who spent the night scaring kids on the trail, have been part of HSE YL since our very first Wyld Life trip to Timber Wolf Lake. They are part of the history of this place.


Oh. My. These parents. These are 5 of dads and moms who support HSE YL by investing their time, energy, finances, talents, prayers and enthusiasm. We couldn't do this without them.


This scary clown? Shout out Zuber. And don't forget Max right behind him.


Meet Andrew, Treyvon and Lukas-- three guys who have found a place to belong at Young Life. For so many kids like these three, this is their home base and these are their people.


I feel so lucky to get to be a teacher and YL leader in the same district. Caroline, Claire, Adyson and Paige are past and present students-- girls who mean so much. It's a privilege to get to teach them about faith, friendship and life as well as English Comp.


These are some of my people, my home team, the homies I want to be laughing with at the end of the day. We could take on a Barn Party together every single night of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment