Thursday, November 11, 2010

Friendship Bracelets

My friend Jami sent me this picture awhile ago because the bracelets on her patient made her think of me. When I am as old as Alice I hope I'm still wearing friendship bracelets. I wish I could meet this woman and find out where all of hers came from.


I love that when I look at my bracelets I think of the people that gave them to me- people I really, really love and admire and respect and miss. 


I love that friendship bracelets are such a part of camp culture. Everyone wants them, most people can make them and everyone knows they're precious and valuable. We love them because the person who made it took the time to do it just for the recipient.


On Thursdays I get to help build that culture in my school with the Friendship Bracelet Club. I love the friendship part at the beginning when we play games like Where the Wind Blows. I love teaching a new kind and then buzzing around to help everyone yelling, "Miss Wright! Miss Wright!" I love when they're successful their three-braid stripe looks so professional with a hardcore and everything. I love when they make up their own "patterns" and come show me their finished work in the hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment