Tuesday, November 16, 2010

High of the day: I turned my blog into a book and it just came in the mail.

Every time I make a list of things I want to do in life "write a book" always gets written down. I want to write a book about all the people in my life- my students, all the campers I've had, Young Life girls from MI and IN, mentor girls back in Delphi, and friends from all over. I love writing and want to capture all of those people. 

Even though I've always wanted to write I never did anything about it. Basically I was just being lame. If you want to be a runner you go run everyday. If you want to be a painter you paint. I should have been writing. So when Sar first proposed the idea of writing a blog I thought, "Yeah, I can do that. Maybe I can't write a book but at least I can blog." So I started writing. And what do you know but when you post every day it starts to build up. 

A couple weeks ago I found a website that prints blogs to books. I tried it out. Today it came in the mail.


I ripped open the box to find my book inside.


I kind of think it's really funny that I printed it all out but I also am so thankful that I've followed through with writing. I'm thankful that I have a life that I want to write about everyday. I'm thankful that "overlapping" has become a regular word in my vocabulary and that I have all of these great people in my life. I always knew I wanted to write a book but thought it would be really difficult and take years. Actually, it ended up being really easy. This process has become one of my favorite things. I love capturing life, sharing ideas, documenting things, remembering what we've been through together, seeing where God has provided for and blessed me, and sharing life.

I am also amazed at the amount of support this little blog has received. When Sarah and I first started our blogs we kept them a secret. I think my parents quickly became my biggest fans and so many friends have kept me motivated to keep writing. I laugh when people tell me they can't wait to be blogged about and I love when people refer to overlapping with other people. I crack up when Molly references things that she's read and when people know about my life before I tell them. Tonight I posted a status about printing my book and I was shocked at how many people were genuinely excited for me. From the bottom of my heart- thank you for  reading.

My friend MaryEllen asked me last night to make a list of the top 10 most fun things I've ever done or things that would be on my completed bucket list. In no particular order, here are the first 10 I can think of...

1. Write a book
2. Fly a two-person plane
3. Work for a summer as a camp counselor
4. Form a friendship bracelet club
5. Jump off of a waterfall in the DR
6. Country-line dance at DC's (a real country-line dancing barn)
7. Visit an orphanage in Africa
8. Start something- i.e. Gold Dolphins, CTXC, Roger Murphy
9. Participate in a food/paint/jello war
10. Bike a marathon with a roller-blading friend 

Top 10 Things I Still Want to Do

1. Work with Arielle at camp
2. Live in the same town as my sister as adults
3. Be a wife and a mom
4. Never stop mentoring/leading/counseling
5. Finish at least a full year of blogging
6. Teach in several settings and grade levels
7. Visit London (and the rest of Europe) with Fitz
8. Stay in touch with my "home team"
9. Compete on and win the Amazing Race
10. When I die be confident that I have lived life to the full in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment