Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve


Tonight we went to the candlelight service at my grandma's church in Norwich, VT. I remember candlelight services growing up at the Methodist church in Delphi and I love that you can get that same experience anywhere on this night.

It's a night of traditional songs, verses, and prayers. To be honest, it's hard for me to connect to God in those rituals. I'd prefer to be singing In Christ Alone, Blessed Be Your Name, or Lay My Burdens Down because those songs are more a part of my history of faith.

But my favorite part is the advent candles. I never really thought about what they stand for before this year but heard a great sermon last week at Common Ground about the peace, the fourth candle, that really connected with me.

Tonight we lit the Christ candle and the four candles surrounding it for hope, peace, love, and joy. How amazing that Christ brought those to us and makes those things possible day after day. Those are the things I want to celebrate and that I want my life to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment