Saturday, December 24, 2011

"Be unpredictable, do something crazy, embrace your wild side."

Next to, "do your homework," I think most kids least favorite thing to hear is, "go clean your room." But I don't remember hearing that as a child, I think my room was always clean. I thought it was fun to organize and clean and put away. I even begged my sister to let me clean her room on occasion and consented when she told me it would cost me $1 to do so. Yes, I paid her a dollar to clean her room. I was a weird kid.

So it was actually really fun to spend a large chunk of my day sorting through and organizing my room. Things tend to start to pile up when you move from one apartment to another with camp in between and never have time to get rid of anything or you keep everything for sentimental reasons. Now, a large portion of my room is cleaned out and I found a few new treasures.

I knitted this scarf during college but it was still folded up in my knitting bag, unfinished. Today I cast off the scarf from the needles and then sewed the ends together. Hello brand-new infinity scarf.


I have a tendency to write things down; in journals, on backs of envelopes, in books and scraps of papers. I was slowed down today as I read through so many things but loved the piece of paper I found that read, "Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly." I'm not sure where it came from, but I think it's pretty wise.

So many of the things in my room are things like old clipboards signed by campers or crafts made by CILT girls that remind me of the summer and the weeks I've spent in Choctaw, Teton and Mingo.


This afternoon we went to see "We bought a zoo." Loved it. From the first scene to the last I fell in love with these characters, the soundtrack, what the movie stands for, the parts that made me laugh aloud in the theatre and the part that made me cry. When the lights came back up Mom and I agreed this is one we're going to need to get on DVD.


"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it." 


Tonight's Christmas Eve service was extra special because I got to see our new church for the first time. It was finished this Fall but tonight I got to see the children's wing with a real tree house and slide, the giant sanctuary and rotunda gathering room.

I love this wall right as you walk in, "I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 with all the pictures of how the physical space of the Delphi United Methodist Church has changed since it's beginning. The location has moved but the people and the purpose are still the same.


So many of my High School youth group memories happened in the Sanctuary pictured on the left with its wooden pews, red carpet and stained glass windows but it's exciting to think of all that God will do with this new space and so many people that are committed to being part of this community.


Tonight Pastor Todd talked about presents presence. He said, "The gift of the Christ child is exactly what we need for where we are. He restores the connection between God and humanity." But the thing about this gift is that it's our choice whether we receive it or not. If you do decide to accept his love, it will change you and the way you live your life. The gifts that Christ gives need to be shared. And as you share those gifts they connect you, they bring healing to the world, they show you that you are not alone.

At the end of the Christmas Eve service we always pass the light of the flame from candle to candle down the rows until the whole room is glowing, representing the light of Christ in the world. It's one of my favorite traditions to see the light and think about the verse, "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16


Trygve used to hold up a candle at the end of the Gathering and say, "You are the light of the world. Go and shine to the whole house, campus, classroom, cottage, dorm." It became ingrained in me that we must shine wherever we are, wherever God has led us. 


This Christmas and new year go shine to the whole school, house, dorm, classroom, team, office, sorority, bible study and club. "We shine like stars in the universe, proclaiming the hope of our God."

No comments:

Post a Comment