Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Living the Dream

Ugly Christmas Sweater day was a success. I showed up with my own ugly threads and was so happy to see girls all day long with sweaters from their mother's closets, oversized sweatshirts with kittens in Santa hats, and buttons, rhinestones, and ribbons sewn on in true holiday flare. Everyone wanted to make sure we're going to wear them again next Wednesday.

Tonight I got to hang out with Emily and Rachel. Many years ago, my first interaction with Rachel was in the salad bar line during staff training. I knew I wanted to be friends with her right away. She was funny and kind and a tad bit overwhelmed by everything going on around her. Years later, Rach is still funny and kind but has become one of my favorite people and most trusted friends.

I remember when Emily walked up to Scheumann Lodge with Gwyn to check in for staff training. She was all smiles and so excited to be back after having been a camper years before. Over time I got to know Emily and saw how she is the type of person I want to be around. She builds me up, supports me, has a beautiful heart, and really cares about her friends.

As a kid growing up at camp, I hated the end of every summer because it meant I wouldn't see my favorite counselors or all of my cabinmates or friends from my clinics until the next June. Going back to school in August really meant that everyone at camp moved out of their cabins and I stopped running off to play in Main Field all day long. It was always my dream that one day my camp friends would be my real life, every day kind of friends.

But now I have campers in my classroom. Two of my CILTs come to Campaigners on a weekly basis. One of my roommates used to be the resident counselor of the cabin I lived in when I was on Day Camp staff. I lead Young Life alongside one of my oldest camp friends every week. Former campers text or Skype or write to stay in touch. And on nights like tonight, an ordinary Wednesday night, I get to go eat dinner and then just sit on the couch with two of my very best camp friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment