Thursday, December 22, 2011

"Hi, your hair is so cool. How did you get it to do that?"

I started my Christmas break by sleeping in and then going to school. Not my school, but still a school. I just can't stay away. I visited MaryEllen's kindergarten classroom at the Butler Laboratory School downtown. When I arrived the kids were in the midst of building houses from graham crackers, peanut butter and candy. I joined two little boys who were struggling to get their roof to stand strong. After many attempts to rebuild we had lasting success and a front porch. 

When I spend day after day in my classroom I miss out on seeing other teachers in action. But it's days like this that make me so excited about trying new things when I go back to room 201. I loved walking around Miss Estridge's classroom, leading camp songs during transitions, hearing the different ways she gets the kids' attention, think through how our jobs are so completely different and so completely the same. 

The kids earned a pajama day and watched the Polar Express aboard their own classroom train with hot chocolate and popcorn. MaryEllen is one of the most patient teachers I have ever seen and I was amazed watching her take care of all of her kids, answer or redirect their questions, solve minor disasters and get their Christmas presents ready to go home. During the movie I watched one little boy lean over to his friend and say, "Miss Estridge is the BEST teacher EVER." 

When I think about people who are obsessed with Camp Tecumseh the list is pretty long these days but there is a group of sophomore girls that are right up at the top. Today I got to have a lunch date with three of them who are going to be CILTs this coming summer. Olivia, Maddy, Emma and I got to talk over Qdoba about Christmas and common connections and Maddy's swag and what we love about camp.


I'm so thankful for the way that Camp Tecumseh brings people together. It's incredible to continually witness the hope, joy, meaningful friendships, feeling of being understood, love, realness of faith, and freedom to be unique that these kids experience and live into because of their connection to camp. This culture sticks with people and it has a huge role in shaping these girls into the phenomenal young women they're becoming.


This afternoon I traded Indy for camp for Christmas break. I met my parents in Lafayette to go to the movies, because the Wright family is really good at going to the movies... and eating popcorn, before heading back to camp. 

Now it feels like Christmas time. The tree is lit in the living room with all our old favorite decorations and a couple new ones for Linc. I've temporarily moved back into my childhood bedroom. There are presents to wrap and groceries to get but tonight I'm thankful to just be here.

p.s. My mom pulled out all of Katie and I's dolls and toys when she was cleaning the other day. Hilarious. These guys bring back so many memories of holding Pink Dolly, my Winnie the Pooh birthday, getting Ire Caravel on vacation, playing with the bicycle doll in Grandma's house, hiding the bear with mom and reading the Snowman's book at Christmas time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment