Monday, December 19, 2011

"They were having a sale- I got this whole shark for 3 dollars!"

This is what my kids are reading these days... YA literature at it's finest.


The last week of school is always a contest between the teachers with a new theme each day. Today's theme was to wear your ugliest sweater, scarf, tie, socks and slippers. With thanks to McSoley and my roommates I think I did pretty well. My students keep asking if I made the sweater... I'm not sure how to take that.


Tonight Jon and Annie hosted Carmel Young Life kids of all generations. These days I feel like I'm established in this community, that I've been here awhile and know kids and know families. But tonight I arrived and sat down with Ky and Nick as the house filled with all these people I don't know at all. But I was reminded that we are part of something bigger than ourselves.


Young Life in Carmel has gone on before me and it will continue after I leave. But on such a larger scale God has been working in my life, in the lives of the kids in Carmel, in the lives of YL leaders, in all of our lives before we realized and he will never stop working.


We got to sing together, talk about what's going on in our lives, and hear Jon talk just like Campaigners in the old days. "I give it all to you God, trusting that you'll make something beautiful out of me."

While we talked Ky and Nick walked around the room bringing plates of more cookies and chips and candy. They climbed over us and weaved through people and brought out a tray of cups of water. Perhaps they have the spiritual gift of hospitality.


If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:11

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18


I loved watching all of these people reunite tonight and how obvious it was that their common bond in Christ is what has kept them so connected. I don't know if I can see it enough--I'm so blessed to be part of this community.


1 comment:

  1. I just read your last many blog posts and thought you should know! Thanks for the link back to Book Love :) Do you own PW's book??? Also, I actually really liked that fleece!

    ReplyDelete