Thursday, February 9, 2012

25

Thank you. Thank you for loving me well today. For taking the time and energy and creativity to show up in my life in so many different ways. For celebrating me for a whole day. For telling me why you love me. For calling and texting and facebook and crafting and decorating and showing up. Thank you. Today was one of the very best birthdays I can remember because of all of you.

The morning began with birthday texts and this collage of all my favorite things from Alli Kenney.


Because she wouldn't be able to come to FBC this afternoon, Grace met me early for birthday donuts. She wanted to give me my present, this jar stuffed full of all the reasons why she loves me. It is one of the most precious gifts I've ever gotten because of the time and thought that went into it. I'm so thankful for Grace and her heart.



As we were walking up to the school I noticed that the light in my classroom was on--it shouldn't be. Grace told me not to worry about it. When we walked in about 30 seconds later the lights were off and four of my 8th grade were hiding under my desk. They jumped out to yell SURPRISE and revealed that they had hung up streamers, scattered balloons, written on my white board and thrown confetti everywhere. It was so cool. I never expected them to do something like this and I couldn't stop smiling.


They not only decorated my classroom but they brought me an owl craft and owl socks, Diet Coke and candy from Mikaela, Rachel made a funny canvas of us as animals, heart-shaped cupcakes and a satchel, and Abby made a collage. So much love.


When the bell rang and kids spilled into the school I had more girls arrive with handmade crafts, baked goods and thoughtful presents. I was shocked.

Last year as part of Improv Everywhere I said that it was another Mrs. Craig's birthday. She wasn't into having two birthdays in one year, and hated the extra attention that day. She swore she would get me back. In every class today she told her kids that I was turning 30 and made them write me 30th birthday cards which were then delivered during every class. She got the Spanish teacher in on it too so I had a sombrero and a pinata delivered by students.

I may not have turned 30 today but it just made the celebration more entertaining. My favorite card was from a girl that wrote, "I don't really know you but you have cool bracelets. And I don't think you look like you're 30. You only look 25!"

With streamers hanging in my doorway and people yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS WRIGHT in the hall word spread quickly. I was surprised to see a group of more 8th grade girls bring me birthday notes and cards they had made during their free time in Art. I love their creativity, kind words and excitement to make today a celebration. Some of the coolest notes were from bible study girls that I don't know that well which made their words were extra special.




There was balloon tossing before each class began, birthday graffiti all over my white board and a cookie cake from Rachel. It just felt like a party every period.


Friendship Bracelet Club was a grand celebration today and so many girls came just so they could be with me today. We ran relay races, created team cheers, made pot-holder headbands and ate cupcakes. I love getting to just sit and talk with these kids so I can hear their stories and ask questions and watch the dances they've made up. It's so fun.


I got texts and voicemails from people all day long that were each so thoughtful and kind. I got to call and talk to Annie, Maggie, Katie and Erin to tell them about how good Junior High kids are at celebrations and to talk about their days. Mags sent me messages all day long (with a little help from El) telling me why she loved me--it was like a never ending love tank note.

I didn't have long for dinner so I invited friends from all over Indy to meet me at Chipotle. It was so fun to have a mix of people from the different parts of my life come together. Megan, Katitlyn, Molly, Avery and Maddie are all Camp Tecumseh girls. Molly gave me an intense 5-braid bracelet and Avery brought a mix of fun surprises.


Tyler, Tony, Tom, Jenna and Avery are Young Life leaders at Carmel.


Emily, Mac and Steph are Young Life girls.


We wrote our own versions of George Ella Lyon's Where I'm From poem in my class today. The first version was all about our biological families. The second time we wrote we talked about another family we're a part of-- Friendship Bracelet Club family, Young Life family, bible study family, Camp Tecumseh family, HSJH family. Each one is so important to me and today on my birthday I was so thankful to get to celebrate with people from each one.

I went to a meeting about Fishers YL tonight and even all of the parents there celebrated my day (many of their daughters had a role in the excitement at school today). Mrs. Devoe got everyone to sing Happy Birthday and I got to blow out candles on a cake for the first time today and make a wish.

They couldn't believe I came to the meeting on my birthday, but Young Life is something I'm passionate about, that gives me life, and those are things I want today to be about. More and more I'm excited about what God is doing in this community and the growing possibility of being a part of Young Life ministry here.

And as if everything else wasn't already enough I got flowers from Mrs. Devoe and flowers from Fitzie all the way from New York.


Last year I had been given three birthday cards with cats on them. I was explaining the story to Jon and told him, "If you know me at all you know I love Diet Coke, I love Camp Tecumseh, and I don't really like animals." Sarah Briggs thought it was hilarious so she put up 24 pictures of cats all over our apartment last year to celebrate my 24th birthday.

She's in Chicago now but wanted to continue the feline festivities so she filled my inbox all day long with cats. Not only did she send kitties but she recruited more people, some of my friends and some of hers that I've never met, to email me birthday messages with cats attached. It was equally hilarious and weird.

I got home late and moved back into my apartment where there was mail waiting and a rice-crispy cake from my roommates. I was getting ready for bed when I heard a knock at the door. When I opened it I found Emily, Rachel and McSoley outside holding a candle and singing Happy Birthday. It was so fun to get to see them today. The rest of our days had been packed but they wanted to make sure I knew they loved me and cared enough to show up even if it was real late. They're great friends.


After a couple more phone calls and scrolling through all of the facebook posts from today I finally convinced myself it was time to go to bed. What a day.

When I was writing back my friend Margaret this week she asked me what my words to live by are. I told her, "Live a life of celebration" and "Invest in people." Today was a celebration from the moment I woke up to the moment I fell asleep. Thank you for helping me celebrate. Today so many people invested in me--students, friends, FBC and bible study girls, teachers, YL leaders, camp counselors, college friends, old campers, YL girls, family, roommates and even people I've never met. Thank you for your kind words and making me feel so special today. It was the perfect birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment