Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oh Junior High

During one of my classes today, a girl wrote about how our school feels like a prison. She meant the physical building, not the teachers or what actually goes on here, but I was still shocked. I tried to explain to them how incredibly lucky we are to be in this school as it's one of the nicest I've ever seen. I attempted to give them a picture of what so many other schools are like. It didn't really work. But then one of my boys who sits near my desk turned around, "This place is just so boring."

I wasn't that surprised that this particular kid made that comment but I decided to probe a little more, "So do you hate my class too?"

He didn't hesitate, "No. Cause this is the only time I can actually free write and put what I'm thinking down on paper."

I smiled and put out my fist. We pounded. Made my day.

...

During SLT Mark asked me if he could give a presentation to the class. I asked him what it was about and he said, "Well Grace did that one on Carrie Underwood. So I made a PowerPoint about the largest weight ever lifted by someone's tongue." I checked out his slides and then told the class to give him their attention.

Normally trying to get people to laugh, he was serious for the next four minutes as he presented the facts about the man who had put a hook through his tongue and then lifted a 27 pound gong. Impressive... both for Mark and the man that lifted a gong.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me. Your children make powerpoints and ask to give presentations just for the pure fun of it. You teach in Utopia.

    ReplyDelete