Monday, February 27, 2012

"I'm gonna need a second heart for all this love."

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"  Romans 10:14-15

As Young Life leaders we get the honor and privilege of sharing the joyful news of the gospel with High School kids. We walk into the High School during lunch, into the Miller's basement for Campaigners, into the Club barn, into soccer fields and basketball games, into Bella pizza to meet for dinner and into Starbucks to talk over coffee. These are beautiful feet.


There is an old Audio Adrenaline song that we used to sing when I was in High School, "I want to be your hands, I want to be your feet. I'll go where you send me." It's such an incredible part of our faith that we get to actively be God's hand and feet. My friend Sophie is being God's feet in Africa, Emily is being his feet in the DR, Sarah is being his feet in the North Shore, Jame is being his feet at Camp T. You can be his hands and feet wherever you are, sharing this love in the big and small moments.


While I'm trying to be Christ's hands and feet wherever I go, it is a huge encouragement to be part of this team of beautiful feet when I'm doing Young Life. These leaders are setting aside their own needs and interests to be available, to share this good news with High School kids. Doing this work in community keeps me motivated, accountable and thankful. And as we choose to be the feet of Christ everyday we are confident in the truth that he is with us every step of the way.


I love these girls. Tonight I was just so happy and content to be with this group as we sang together, shared life, wrestled with conversation and prayed.

make a face that tells how you feel about your day

It's a rare thing, a group of High School kids like this. We talked in our group tonight about how they're often misunderstood. They aren't perfect, because really none of us are, and they're not claiming to be. But these kids are voluntarily showing up week after week because they are finding hope here, because they want to know more, because they don't want to do life alone, because they know this is transforming their life, because God is renewing their heart, because we know this matters.


We're goofy and creative and loud and figuring it out and weird and involved and imperfect and living in the freedom of the good news. This is a good place to be.


Highs of the day: Jenna brought me the Taylor Swift concert video to borrow because she knew I would love it, I got to play bananagrams with Mark and Tony, we discovered a connection between Tony, Shima and I, talking to Rachel Lombard on the phone, giving Annie the play by play on my search for Starbucks cups, Young Life Campaigners, heart to heart with Avery, Skyping with Mags.

1 comment: