Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"All my dreams are coming true!"

After two car rides, two planes, one airtrain, two subway trains and a short walk I made it to Sarah Fitzpatrick's apt in New York City!

Sarah is one of my oldest and best camp friends. We met the summer we were CILTs and started on staff in 2004. During our camp years we were counselors in the LV, coords together in 2007, and CILT partners in the Longhouse in 2008.  She is also one of the coolest people I know and easily the best tour guide I've ever had in D.C. and Chicago. I've been so excited for this trip.

I braved the subway system by myself from the airport, which I was very proud of, and was so excited to see her week-old apartment right away. We didn't waste anytime getting into the city.

Our first stop was the Shake Shack right in the middle of a park two blocks away.


I loved watching everyone's outfit while we waited in line. Best cheeseburgers, fries, and shakes in NYC.


Weather.com told us today would be the only sunny day of my visit so we knew exploring Central Park was a priority. We hiked a good 30 blocks through the park up paths, over rocks, and around lakes. I swear the whole park is a movie set. Everytime we turned a corner I said, "OH MY GOSH! THIS IS WHERE THEY FILMED [fill in the blank]!"

This is where JLo walks during Maid in Manhattan.


This was beautiful. While we were walking through there was a violinist serenading us. I love that the musicians everywhere.


I know this fountain is part of a movie too but I can't figure it out. I want to say they ride bikes around it... maybs that's wrong. Help me out people.


Emily and Kata  have told me that   they think is the fountain from Hitch when Will Smith's lip is extra fat. Kath  commented, "I know that Elf, One Fine Day, and Enchanted all had scenes at the Bethesda Fountain. Not sure about Nanny Diaries."  Peanut knew it was in Enchanted too. Mags thinks its in Home Alone 2 and  Enchanted. MaryKate said it's also in 500 Days of Summer. Annie said it's in Stuart Little 2, Godspell, and When in Rome but I'm pretty sure that movie happens in Rome. And Beef figured out the movie with the bike- Mr. Deeds! You guys are great. Are these  other places in more than one movie?


This is part of 27 dresses when the sisters are talking about where the wedding ceremony should be. Look over our shoulders to the right...


Remember their parents got married her and the sister wants to have her's there too. There were paddle boats out on the lake and so many tourists (yes, like me) taking their picture.



I really flipped out when we walked up to this castle. It's from Step-Mom when Julia Roberts is doing the Rapunzel photo shoot in the park and the kids have to wait for her and are so bored.


You can climb up in the castle! I thought it was hilarious that they had signs posted that you can't have weddings or cameras on tripods in the castle.


This is THE window Rapunzel leans out of for the shoot. Oh. My. Gosh. So exciting.


Fitz and I were discussing how appropriate it is to take pictures of strangers and she told me about how she had learned in Columbia Journalism classes that it is fine to take pictures of anyone in a public place. Just then we approached this brigade of bladers in some type of club or class. I gave Fitz my camera and told her to go be a journalist.


I'm obsessed with these pictures. Children. Blading 4 Life. A little Manhattan child with a dog who really wish she were blading instead.


Can you see the coach in the back cheering on the girl in the pink? She was telling him that she had fallen and he told her, "Oh, but you did it so well."


Pretty sure this ring around the lake is where Charlotte runs in Sex and the City when she decides to run again while she's pregnant. I told Fitz she should probs run and she took off racing this runner girl.



Fitz didn't stop after I took the picture either, but just kept going and was so proud she won. In boots.


For a few months I've been saying that I don't have a Twitter yet because I'm getting one on Spring Break. Today it happened. I can now tweet. Oh goodness. I'm not sure if this a good thing yet.



The NYC subway system is a little bit crazy. I love all the musicians. Late tonight we had a moment singing along with a woman playing guitar while we waited for our train.


We ran into an Aunt of one of Sar's friends and this dear child Maya. She crawled her way through a crowded subway car to get to us. She's a treasure.


Tonight was the first game of the season for Fitzie's new kickball league. Her friend Betty (far left) organized the team and was so excited that I could sub in tonight. Small world- Betty and I both went to Camp Jewell in Connecticut as children, so great.


p.s. Michael Kraft's twin was on another kickball team. We saw him across the courts when we first arrived jumping around, cheering, and occasionally playing hopscotch while in the outfield. I momentarily thought maybs Kraft forgot to tell us he was coming to the city.


Pre-game huddle. This group of people was hilarious and I wish I could come back to play agin. The Kicksters were outnumbered tonight and we may have lost 0-20 but we put up a really enthusiastic fight.


Giant slices of pepperoni pizza and Diet Coke on the run. Could I possibly imagine a better dinner? I don't think so.


Jay, Fitz's friend from HS in London, has a band that plays every Wednesday on the lower East side. I loved meeting this group of Minnesotan friends and hearing the band play.

 

5 comments:

  1. The fountain is probs in lots of things, but you're most likely thinking Enchanted! :)

    So jealous you're in NYC. Wish I was still there. Have a fab trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, this may be more than you bargained for. I know that Elf, One Fine Day, and Enchanted all had scenes at the Bethesda Fountain. Not sure about Nanny Diaries.

    Probs a million others, too, but that's what I could come up with.

    Give Fitz a million hugs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah such a fun first day.

    Other movies the fountain is in: Godspell, Stuart Little 2, and When in Rome, and its in gossip girl a lot, but thats not a movie.

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen Elf, One Fine Day, or Enchanted--I'm sure they have scenes at that fountain.

    But the scene with bikes AND the fountain that you're thinking of is from "Mr. Deeds" with Adam Sandler and Winona Ryder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah that does look like me. Maybe I was in NYC. Trust me.... I wish I were.

    ReplyDelete