Saturday, April 9, 2011

"I've told him in punjabi to take care of you."

It was the event that had been mounting with anticipation. On this fourth morning when Fitz went to yoga I went with her. We walked a few blocks from the subway stop a to Pure Yoga studio. Inside the wood walls there was a sense of calm and peace. We took the stairs downstairs and it was like entering another world. Yoga world. 



We quickly changed and headed to Studio One where class with Marco was about to begin. There were mats laid in rows covering the entire floor and almost all of them were already claimed. We found two in the back of the room and prepared to begin. Marco, think Antonio Banderas, came over to us and knelt down close. "How long have you been practicing the art of yoga?" he asked. I told him never and his eyes lit up, "Oh yes! Oh. This is wonderful. Your body will be in pain. Your mind will tell you that you will be hurt but you will not be hurt. Do not listen to your mind."


He dimmed the lights and class began. We did downward dog to start and lots of crazy poses that I can't even begin to explain. It was intense. The room was extra hot. Marco walked around the room as he gave directions and whenever his voice got louder I knew he was coming to adjust me. He would get right next to my face and tell me to breath in the back of my throat and made the noise I was supposed to copy. That was the only time I laughed but I quickly suppressed it and figured out how to breath like him. I've never called myself a flexible person but I bent and twisted in ways I could never imagine. "Focus on the now. You need to know where up is, where down is, where left is, where right is. You need to find your center. Be in the now." An hour and a half later we all said, "Namaste."


As we were leaving class Marco told me, "You will be very sore tomorrow. Then you will be sore for the next four days." Fitz is a pro for doing this so often. I'm impressed and have a new appreciation for yoga.


Tecumseh Playground!


"New Yorkers are all about brunch on the weekend," Fitz said so we went and got brunch. Challah french toast is incredible.


Our last stop in the city was Kate's Paperie. I love letters and cards and journals and this was the heaven for all things paper.



We rushed back to Fitzie's apartment to grab my things before sending me off to the midwest. It was incredible trip and perfect way to spend Spring Break. I can't believe all of things we managed to pack into my time in the city. I'm so thankful that I got to spend time with Fitz. She's such a dear friend and I love that as much shared history as we have we continue to develop our friendship.


One Indian man leading me through Brooklyn and guiding me with punjabi, a little girl with a rice ball, a boy throwing up next to me on the plane and an airport pick-up via Moll and Coll I was finally back in the great state of Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment