Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Love, Sarah (#6)

I got home late tonight from class and I was exhausted and sick of feeling sick from allergies. I opened my mailbox just hoping there would be something fun inside and immediately smiled when I saw it was a letter from Sarah Scott.

Wouldn't you be thrilled if you got a letter from this girl?


Sarah Scott (you have to say her first and last name) and I met at Girls State (aka Goverment Camp, i.e. we're super cool) when we were 16. Sharing a history of Camp T, we hit it off when she was campaigning early in the week and noticed my Tecumseh sweatshirt.  We became great friends right away. She visited me at camp, where I was doing my first summer of Day Camp, just a few weeks later solidifying our friendship. The next summer she joined the DC staff and we were co-DC counselors in Teton. Since then we've graduated HS, worked resident staff together, gone to out-of-state colleges, she lived in South America, I became a teacher, she started medical school and we've still stayed close.


Tonight I had to share part of her letter with all of you because it something we all need to be reminded of,

"I went for a springtime golf course run with Catherine (the one who loves her camp) and we had a conversation about how one of the most beautiful things about camp is feeling like the best version of yourself. And she said something I've been thinking about a lot lately-- she said she thinks this is possible to have in everyday life and that, in a sense, acting like this is only possible at camp is a cop-out. I'm so guilty of this. Of course it's possible to be your best everyday... it's just easier at camp when you're surrounded by like-minded people... and chapel daily.. and devotions... and where being yourself is the only requirement. So. My ambiguous goal in this moment is to be the camp version of myself."

I think we must follow Sarah and Catherine's goal to be the camp version, the best version of ourselves everyday. I think that we must be intentional about living into who Christ created us to be. Life works better when we decide to be that best version of ourselves in all circumstances.

1 comment: