Saturday, April 2, 2011

"You know, I've never really been to a Starbucks. I prefer Panera. This is my first or second time in a Starbucks." -I might be eavesdropping

One of the things I miss about college culture is the coffee shop culture. As often as possible I would walk the few short blocks to JP's on 8th st to sip a vanilla latte while talking to a friend or finishing up some writing for one of Heather's classes.

But in real life I have yet to find a great local coffee shop so I go to Starbucks. My visits are usually restricted to a quick stop on the way to school or church to get my caffeine fix. It's just not the same.

So on this empty Saturday morning of Spring Break I've decided to try to re-capture all that I love most of that old tradition. I've brought along letters to write back to, a new book to jump into, and my computer so I can write another ch of the camp story--three of my favorite activities. There is nowhere else I need to be right now and there are no pressing phone calls, e-mails, or papers to take care of. Right now I can sit and drink my vanilla latte.


I love that I can sit here totally anonymous in a room of constant activity- the coffee grinder is whirring, a toddler is jumping up and down, friends are leaning in over a cup of coffee, men are reading the newspapers, the baristas are laughing and teasing 'Adam' the only guy working, a grandma can't choose which pastry to try, a family is playing dominoes, and odd music is playing over it all. This is a haven for people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment