Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Forget it. I'm killing Penguins. We'll go Food, Reynolds, Eagle."

Fitz had early morning yoga and I slept in. I'll join her this week but I'm not trying to be all about it everyday. We had to rush out to Brooklyn so we grabbed a latte and bagel to go on the subway.


If I lived in NY I think I would want to write stories or do a photo series about the subways. I love watching the people, like the women on this platform, the performers, the rush of students in the afternoon, the groups of friends, the readers, and business men all going about their day squashed together on their commute. Every station is decorated with a mosaic or stained glass or paintings and I'm amazed by the amount of time that went into each piece that I'm not sure people even recognize as art.


Our trip to Brooklyn was to visit Anne Nichols', another old camp counselor, school.


She was just starting to facilitate her book club with a group of five 6th graders and Fitzie and I got to sit in on the conversation. I love getting a glimpse of other schools and seeing other teachers in action. Her students were awesome- identifying personification and metaphors, making inferences, discussing the theme of the book.

The school is bright and just bursting with positive messages. I had to stop to read every sign--I wish I could plaster these all over my school and paint the hallways a rainbow of colors.




Wouldn't you want to come to school here?

 

I'm so glad we got to see Miss Nichols in action and catch up with her.


We headed to Marissa's, Fitz's roommate, favorite restaurant for lunch.


I was thrilled that they not only had Diet Coke but there were crayons for us to draw on the paper tablecloth.


Fitz and I love making Top 10 lists.


Next stop was Kleinfeld.


Yes, of Say Yes to the Dress on TLC. (please see below)


While Fitz talked to the front counter about setting up an appointment, to serve as a distraction, I unsuspiciously wandered around the lobby taking this picture...


And looking in the main room to take this one... But you're not allowed to browse so I couldn't go in any further.


Then we found out you can check out the shoes and jewelry (which I forgot to take pictures of) downstairs. This made us laugh:


Fitz noticed this hanging at the top of the stairs attached to three dresses. Do we think Martha is getting married... three times? Do we think they're for her magazine? Does she have a magazine? Are they for her TV show?


On our way to Union Square we decided to look in the Baked by Melissa mini-cupcake store.


They were just so mini and precious and delicious looking that we had to get some.


We took our cupcakes into the park and found a seat by Ghandi. Namaste.


(Top L-R): Birthday Cake, Chocolate Chip Pancake, Cookies & Cream
(Bottom L-R): Cinnamon, Cookie Dough, Birthday cake


Cinnamon was the winner for best taste.


Later that evening we headed to CBS to watch the 6:30 Evening News from the control room.


In the broadcasting there is no food, no drink, and no noise. Fitz and I sat in the back of the room to watch all the action. I couldn't take any pictures but let me just tell you it was kind of nuts. There were maybe 70 screens in the room of different camera angles, networks, on location stories, and teleprompters. Everyone in the room had a different job and the man in charge was shouting out directions.

"They teach us to be respectful not disrespectful. Let's try that... Harry used the f word. Remember you're on a live mic... Penguins are in, looks like we're going to be adding the penguins... There's just too much time."

We toured the station and I could start documenting again. This is where Fitz goes during broadcasts and checks all the information that they're putting up on the screens.


The studio set


The news room


Fitzie's desk and what she looks like when she's hard at work everyday


We walked a lot today. Like miles around New York. Actually, we think we may have walked all of NYC by now. Seriously. During our walk we passed the crew set up for the filming of Men In Black III.  Wish we could have seen Will Smith but he was nowhere to be found.


Dinner was at Chinatown Brasserie. Such a cool atmosphere.  We tried dumplings (for the first time ever), dim sum, general tsao's chicken and wielded our chopsticks with skill.


What chinese meal is complete without a fortune? This one makes me think of Team CILT.

1 comment: