Monday, September 5, 2011

From Indy to Holland to Greencastle and back again

This Labor Day weekend I got to spend a lot of time in the car. I love road trips, love singing, love visiting places--just don't usually like doing it by myself. But this weekend it wasn't so bad. I kept my iPod on shuffle and drank a lot of Diet Coke. You have a lot of time to think when you spend a total of 11 1/2 hours in the car.


Katie and Nick have just moved into their brand-new farmhouse in Michigan. Combined with Mom and Dad's focus, they have almost finished unpacking the whole house. Friday night I got to help put lining in the kitchen shelves and find spots for more bowls and vases and cups and bread and knives and dish soap and you get the idea.


I love this house. It reminds me of all the cottages at Hope with the curved doorway from the living room, the cabinets around the kitchen window, old wooden floors and thick framing around every door and window. I love that I have a (guest) room in this house right down the hall from my (future) niece/nephew. I love that there is a big front porch and I can't wait to sit and talk out there at night.


Saturday morning we went into Holland so Katie could work on some work and I got to do so many of my favorite things. We walked through the farmers market...


Did you note the peppers? I didn't actually get one to eat, since they're my new food goal, but at least I'm on the lookout for them now. We got blueberries, mums for the porch, and a really nice lady gave me an apple for free. I love these Dalias, I think they may be my favorite flower.


We visited the Hope bookstore for new Hope College apparel, drove by the SIB cottage, got cards from Moynihan, and ate lunch (#8 Ham Sam) at Good Earth.

Back at the farmhouse we started to unpack the baby room. This baby is going to be so well dressed. Can't you just tell it's going to be the most fun baby?


We went to the Michigan favorite chain Russ' for dinner. It's the kind of place that the average age of diners is around 70 years old. In the morning we went to church at Mars Hill. It's one of the things I miss most about Hope and I love getting to go back to sing when they go country with hymns, and write down notes as Shane speaks in the round, and to ask for just a few more Love Wins stickers to pass out back at home.

I got back in the car after lunch and drove till I ended up in Greencastle, IN--home to Depauw and so many of my favorite people.

I miss so many things about camp during the rest of the year but one of the biggest is just being with a big group of your best friends all the time. Today that got to happen. Coll, Chrissy, Arielle, Rach, and Mary could just eat dinner together and hang out in Phi and walk to Marvin's to get Mar mac bites and see Mar and Grace Ardery and visit Alex and Holly and sit downstairs watching camp videos and stay up talking. Rach is so right, "People are your most important investment."


I'm real jealous that these girls get to see each other everyday but I'm so glad that I got to visit.



Nothing to round off a great weekend like pizza with Molls and frozen yogurt with our new friend Carrie. I love three day weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment