Monday, September 26, 2011

"I think we like to complicate things when it really is quite simple; find what it is that makes you happy and who it is that makes you happy and you're set. Promise."

Just in case you need another social media, addictive, time-consuming online website to occupy your time, allow me to introduce you to Pinterest. 

This black hole website sucks you into an infinite number of links to images and ideas that you can then repin to your own board (facebook has a wall so pinterest has a board- genius). I've heard people raving about how great this is but didn't really believe all the hype. But while I was hanging out at Jenna's this afternoon I had some free time and this is what happened...






I think I'm hooked.

I went to a soccer game with Jenna and Avery to cheer on the girls team on their senior night. I love that when you go to sports you get to see so many people... maybe that's why I should love sports, the social aspect.
Thankful that some of the girls I got to see were Darian my mentor girl, Annie the session 1 CILT, Claire Neterer the camp T legend, and Emmie a YL girl I've really missed.

And then I got to go to Campaigners. It's easy to take it for granted that I get to see these girls each week because it becomes a routine but I don't want to do that. I love when Samantha and Megan, Coop and Mac, Steph and Emily, Heather and Hannah show up because they want to live in community, because they want to be at Young Life at tonight and have these conversations.

Tonight at Campaigners we talked about light and dark.  We read, "And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day." 

I love that MaryEllen shared, "I think it's so interesting that light was the first thing God created, and that God separated light from dark. And even at night, the time of the day that is supposed to be darkest, God gave us the moon and the stars to provide light in the midst of darkness."


When we sang "Mighty To Save" tonight Tyler talked pointed out the lyrics about light in this song. 


We read about John, a man that was sent to be a light, to share God with the people around him. We talked about people who have been a light in our lives, that have shared Christ with us by the way they live their lives out everyday. I thought of Lani who consistently shines joy and so deeply cares about her friends that she shares their joy and pain. We talked about Sarah who is such a beautiful example of trusting God even when life is hard and not your ideal plan but still committing to follow and believe that God knows what he's doing.


I love these verses, "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."



And think about it this way, "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."



It reminds me of a song I remember singing in the wooden pews of Dimnent Chapel at Hope College called "You are the Light." I pray that this week we would live as lights and recognize the gift, responsibility and beauty that brings.


We shine like stars in the universe
Proclaimimg the hope of our God
And to the sons and daughters in all the earth
We shine You, Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment